Fluconazole to Treat Bryopsis

RhiD08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I recently saw a bit of what I thought to be grass hair algae which lead me to believe that I'd be battling with it for the second time. Almost overnight, this bit of algae seemed to take off and has grown quite large in some areas. Now that it is big enough, I'm almost 100% sure that its bryopsis. I know that bryopsis is a particularly difficult algae to deal with and that no inverts eat it. I researched a bit more and found that there are two ways to treat it, one of which is raising magnesium levels and the other is fluconazole. Raising magnesium levels must be done slowly and is a bit more of a complicated process which leaves me with fluconazole. I've been trying to research more about fluconazole and am still unsure whether it is the right thing to do. Will the fluconazole have any negative effects on my corals (GSP, kenya tree, cyphastrea, and pulsing xenia) or fish (2 ocellaris clownfish)? Do I dose the recommended of 20 mg/gal or 9 mg/gal as some reefers have done? Do I only dose once and avoid water changes for 14-21 days? Do I need to use a reef brand such as Reef Flux or can I use a no name brand from a pharmacy? Thank you in advance for all the help and advice, I really appreciate it!

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get reef flux hd. Works like a charm.
Does not harm coral or fish. Watch nitrates and phosphates as the death of algae can raise them

ReefHD Reef Flux Anti-Fungal Treatment (100 gal)

OP
OP
R

RhiD08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get reef flux hd. Works like a charm.
Does not harm coral or fish. Watch nitrates and phosphates as the death of algae can raise them

ReefHD Reef Flux Anti-Fungal Treatment (100 gal)

Thank you, I will purchase it tomorrow! Is it just one dose and wait about two weeks?

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Flux RX in two tanks and both cleared up of all Bryopsis and alot of the GHA I had! I dose a little heavier then recommended on the package, and leave all mechanical filtration off for 72 hours, then I wait with the water change for as long as there is algae left in the tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back