Fluke treatment

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have couple fish shake its head and scratching so bad. I found some treatment on forum and has option to dose prazi into DT, but i have pink tail wrasse and huge RBTA. Should I dose into Dt or bath my fish in parzi 40 hour with 48 hours apart???

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro can be harsh on some wrasses. The praziquantel in Prazipro is 2.5 and can effect some wrasses. If you use it you can reduce the dose to 2.0 and it will work fine. But there's another issue with Prazipro. To keep the praziquantel in solution, they use a chemical, Oxybispropanol. It "uses" a lot of the available O2 from the water column. It can effect the fish negatively. Consider boosting the O2 by using a powerhead aimed up at the surface of the tank so it's actively rippling the water surface. This is the best way to increase O2 exchange in the water. Can also add a bubbler of some sort to help as well.

Or you can use General Cure. It's a powder form of both praziquantel + metro. It does not have the oxybispropanol and the dosage of prazi is 2.0. Much easier on fish. Much.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro can be harsh on some wrasses. The praziquantel in Prazipro is 2.5 and can effect some wrasses. If you use it you can reduce the dose to 2.0 and it will work fine. But there's another issue with Prazipro. To keep the praziquantel in solution, they use a chemical, Oxybispropanol. It "uses" a lot of the available O2 from the water column. It can effect the fish negatively. Consider boosting the O2 by using a powerhead aimed up at the surface of the tank so it's actively rippling the water surface. This is the best way to increase O2 exchange in the water. Can also add a bubbler of some sort to help as well.

Or you can use General Cure. It's a powder form of both praziquantel + metro. It does not have the oxybispropanol and the dosage of prazi is 2.0. Much easier on fish. Much.
I plan to move my fishes into small tank bc I don’t want any medication in DT. It seem less risky to my wrasse and DT bio. If using GC, the dosage is 2.0 ??? The dosage is per gallon or the whole tank volume????

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to move my fishes into small tank bc I don’t want any medication in DT. It seem less risky to my wrasse and DT bio. If using GC, the dosage is 2.0 ??? The dosage is per gallon or the whole tank volume????
Dose one package of GC per 10 gallons of tank water. You do not need to redose after 48 hours as listed on the package. Dose, then wait 5-7 days. Do a 25% water change and redose (this kills off any new eggs that were laid. Wait 5-7 days. Do a 25% water change and then observe for 10 days. We have been coming across prazi resistant flukes lately.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose one package of GC per 10 gallons of tank water. You do not need to redose after 48 hours as listed on the package. Dose, then wait 5-7 days. Do a 25% water change and redose (this kills off any new eggs that were laid. Wait 5-7 days. Do a 25% water change and then observe for 10 days. We have been coming across prazi resistant flukes lately.
Sound like a good plan. My tang tomini lost color really bad which I can see his bond behind the skin. However, my fish still eat like normal and fat, just shaking head and color pale really bad

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem like my tank has ick, i may pull fishes out for copper treatment in 14 days but after treating copper, I may need to replace sterile water for observation. My question is the sterile water is new water so do I need to put bio spira in there?? What should I do to let that water cycled after tranfer them from copper treatment???

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about a QT that's going to have copper in it?
Yes but after copper treatment, do we need to change new water for observation. How can I boost the bacteria in the new water in order to tranfer my fish over ?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the 14 days, transfer to a fresh sterile QT to observe. So if you are using the same tank, it needs to be sterilized before putting new water into it.
Add a product like BioSpira is a great idea. But since you are just observing and not treating, you can do frequent water changes to keep the water quality in good shape.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the 14 days, transfer to a fresh sterile QT to observe. So if you are using the same tank, it needs to be sterilized before putting new water into it.
Add a product like BioSpira is a great idea. But since you are just observing and not treating, you can do frequent water changes to keep the water quality in good shape.
What do you mean sterilized. How can we do that?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean sterilized. How can we do that?
Wash the tank with bleach, then rinse, rinse, rinse and dry. This removes most of the biofilm

Wash the tank with vinegar, then rinse, rinse, rinse and dry. This precipitates copper into a harmless form.

Wash the tank with hydrogen peroxide, then rinse, rinse, rinse and dry. This removes all carbon based materials. And is often used in labs to clean equipment. I always use this step if the tank has had a particularly nasty disease or parasites like bacterial infections, Brook, velvet and especially uronema.

omar jawad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should go to humblefish.com and learn more about the Prazipro treatment there. I followed the instructions and it turned out well with no additional casualties.
If I remember correctly, you treat the tank, d 25% water change and treat again. @Humblefish

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wash the tank with bleach, then rinse, rinse, rinse and dry. This removes most of the biofilm

Wash the tank with vinegar, then rinse, rinse, rinse and dry. This precipitates copper into a harmless form.

Wash the tank with hydrogen peroxide, then rinse, rinse, rinse and dry. This removes all carbon based materials. And is often used in labs to clean equipment. I always use this step if the tank has had a particularly nasty disease or parasites like bacterial infections, Brook, velvet and especially uronema.
Thanks for your advice, good to know all those steps
You should go to humblefish.com and learn more about the Prazipro treatment there. I followed the instructions and it turned out well with no additional casualties.
If I remember correctly, you treat the tank, d 25% water change and treat again. @Humblefish
I think I may treat prazi in 2 round like humblefish

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back