Flukes? Best Way To Deal With Them

egwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Punctato butterfly fish was scratching/flashing at the gills and showing signs of flukes. He was the only new addition to the tank in the last month (did not quarantine...I know I know). I have a 75 G tank with a 20 gallon sump. I dosed the tank with Prazi, did a water change five days later, dosed again with prazi, and now its been five days and my puffer is scratching. During Prazi treatment all scratching stopped and fish seemed healthy and happy. There's zero signs of ich or anything else in the tank. I've dealt with flukes before but its been a few years since I added something new in the tank so I thought maybe there is some new info out there.

Should I do a Prazi treatment, water change after 3 days and redose, and repeat again for a total of 9-10 days? I'm assuming that the eggs are hatching and evading the Prazi as it wears out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Start with freshwater dip for 5 minutes using same temperature as display tank
Place the fish back in display tank afterwards and treat tank with prazi for two 8 day treatments
Look on bottom of container where you did the dip and see if you see what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. Flashlight may help
If so- those are flukes that dropped off

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back