Flukes everywhere

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start of, i have 3 Tanks.
One Main Tank and the other to are frag tanks.
I am treathing my Main tank with prazipro for 3 Weeks now.
Today i saw on the mollies in one of my frag tanks also alot of flukes on the fish.
I didn't transfered any fish, Rock, or algaes in month into this Tank and the tank is running for more than a half year without adding anything.

How did i transfer the flukes then in the other tanks? They aren't even in the same house.

Is it possible to Transfer them by hand when working on the tanks?

If so, how can i desinfect all my Equipment which i use to work on the tanks?
Since an hour i am medicating all my tanks with prazipro, so i want to eradicate the Problem of transfering them again.

The pictures of the molly are 10 minutes after dosing the prazipro, and the flukes started to appear.
So i am Sure they are flukes.
20230205_212305.jpg
20230205_212329.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times did you dose your main tank with prazipro?

Some flukes are egg layers - prazipro does not kill the eggs. Some flukes eggs have sticky tendrils and are easily moved from one tank to another by net, hand, etc. Just a single neobendenia egg can start up a new infection.

However, I'm not sure that is a fluke issue. See how on the black molly, some of the white areas are adjacent to fin damage? That's from fighting. The random spots on the body can also be missing scales. I see a lot of mucus....

Flukes often have no visual symptoms - the fish breath fast, or scratch on surfaces. Sometimes, they develop a general "bedraggled", worn look.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
To start of, i have 3 Tanks.
One Main Tank and the other to are frag tanks.
I am treathing my Main tank with prazipro for 3 Weeks now.
Today i saw on the mollies in one of my frag tanks also alot of flukes on the fish.
I didn't transfered any fish, Rock, or algaes in month into this Tank and the tank is running for more than a half year without adding anything.

How did i transfer the flukes then in the other tanks? They aren't even in the same house.

Is it possible to Transfer them by hand when working on the tanks?

If so, how can i desinfect all my Equipment which i use to work on the tanks?
Since an hour i am medicating all my tanks with prazipro, so i want to eradicate the Problem of transfering them again.

The pictures of the molly are 10 minutes after dosing the prazipro, and the flukes started to appear.
So i am Sure they are flukes.
20230205_212305.jpg
20230205_212329.jpg
These dont appear to be flukes which are rarely seen by the naked eye but rather bacterial infection. You actually being in a salt environment want to treat them with Maracyn 2 or Seachem kanaplex in a separate quarantine tank for at least 5 days.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times did you dose your main tank with prazipro?

Some flukes are egg layers - prazipro does not kill the eggs. Some flukes eggs have sticky tendrils and are easily moved from one tank to another by net, hand, etc. Just a single neobendenia egg can start up a new infection.

However, I'm not sure that is a fluke issue. See how on the black molly, some of the white areas are adjacent to fin damage? That's from fighting. The random spots on the body can also be missing scales. I see a lot of mucus....

Flukes often have no visual symptoms - the fish breath fast, or scratch on surfaces. Sometimes, they develop a general "bedraggled", worn look.

Jay
The Main Tank is on it's third dose. I am the guy with the bamboo shark which had flukes. They where gone, now they are back, same symptomes as before, but now with alot more fish los. Scratching and yawning, shaking his head at the surface.

They appeared to turn White as the mollys started twitching and scratching after dosing prazi. Before dosing prazipro, i couldn't see anything, only slighty transparent dots on the black mollys, those spots turned this white after dosing prazipro.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Main Tank is on it's third dose. I am the guy with the bamboo shark which had flukes. They where gone, now they are back, same symptomes as before, but now with alot more fish los. Scratching and yawning, shaking his head at the surface.

They appeared to turn White as the mollys started twitching and scratching after dosing prazi. Before dosing prazipro, i couldn't see anything, only slighty transparent dots on the black mollys, those spots turned this white after dosing prazipro.

Can you catch the mollies to give them a 5 minute FW dip? Then, settle out the dip water and look closely for dead flukes (sometimes you need a microscope to see them though). If nothing else, if the mollies improve over a couple of days, that helps confirm flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you catch the mollies to give them a 5 minute FW dip? Then, settle out the dip water and look closely for dead flukes (sometimes you need a microscope to see them though). If nothing else, if the mollies improve over a couple of days, that helps confirm flukes.

Jay
I can try, if you think the flukes could still be on them after 1 hour prazirpo in the tank.
But the black ones had those dots like this clownfish before adding prazipro, maybe this help.
Screenshot_20230205-224346_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Catched 7 mollys, freshwater dipped, and microscoped the water. Besides Poop i couldn't find anything, but i have to say i catched probably the mollys which were fine, or the prazipro did already did it's Job or do flukes dissolve so fast in freshwater?

If they are flukes, how can i disinfect my Equipment then?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catched 7 mollys, freshwater dipped, and microscoped the water. Besides Poop i couldn't find anything, but i have to say i catched probably the mollys which were fine, or the prazipro did already did it's Job or do flukes dissolve so fast in freshwater?

If they are flukes, how can i disinfect my Equipment then?
It really doesn’t sound like flukes to me. Give the mollies a couple of days, if no improvement the definitely not flukes.
Jay

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really doesn’t sound like flukes to me. Give the mollies a couple of days, if no improvement the definitely not flukes.
Jay
I am going to make a new Topic with all Photos and Videos i got today. Maybe they aren flukes, but i can't think of anything else when i look at the symptoms in my main tank.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did you find out if it was flukes? Did you think maybe it could’ve been velvet possibly?
In the other thread we guessed it was not flukes, since 5 dosis of Prazipro didn't do the Job and it may have been Velvet. The shark is good right now, the colombiansharks are very weak right now.
I am waiting for ruby rally reef to arrive

jason24365

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the other thread we guessed it was not flukes, since 5 dosis of Prazipro didn't do the Job and it may have been Velvet. The shark is good right now, the colombiansharks are very weak right now.
I am waiting for ruby rally reef to arrive
So get polyp labs medic man. It’s magic. Fights ich and velvet. Doesn’t cure it but will keep your fish healthy and alive while being velvet and ich management!

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So get polyp labs medic man. It’s magic. Fights ich and velvet. Doesn’t cure it but will keep your fish healthy and alive while being velvet and ich management!
Instructions reads more like i have to believe in it to work.
My water is clear, UV and Ozone is running.
Still waiting for my 2,5gal Ruby reef. Should have been here today, but now it is delayed and is here on monday

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081
I am happy to inform you that i am done with medicating Reef rally Pro.
They grey bamboo shark, colombiansharks and porcupine puffer are now healty and happy again.
I just wanted to say thank you to both of you. You helped me alot and i am back on track with happy and healthy fish.
Now i can start replanting the tank with macroalgaes, they dissolved with the prazipro treatment.
Then i had alot of aptasia, but after 6 dosings of ruby reef rally pro, all aptasia is gone, don´t know if that is common with rally pro, but i am glad that they are gone :p
i also made the tank footprint more like a octagon by placing rocks in the corners so the shark can swim in circles, also added finer sand.
Thank you very much:)
20230322_174522.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081
I am happy to inform you that i am done with medicating Reef rally Pro.
They grey bamboo shark, colombiansharks and porcupine puffer are now healty and happy again.
I just wanted to say thank you to both of you. You helped me alot and i am back on track with happy and healthy fish.
Now i can start replanting the tank with macroalgaes, they dissolved with the prazipro treatment.
Then i had alot of aptasia, but after 6 dosings of ruby reef rally pro, all aptasia is gone, don´t know if that is common with rally pro, but i am glad that they are gone :p
i also made the tank footprint more like a octagon by placing rocks in the corners so the shark can swim in circles, also added finer sand.
Thank you very much:)
20230322_174522.jpg
I like the space and scape !! Great to hear.

Back