Flukes? Ich? Brook? I'm really unsure.

Tosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. So I added a pair of occelaris clowns to my tank a week ago. Both looked great and as I didn't yet have my QT setup and they were the first two fish I decided to add them directly to my DT. One looks perfect and eats like a demon. The other started looking lethargic after about a day and just hanging around at the top of the tank in a corner but still eating. No visible signs at that point.

Over the next few days his breathing became more laboured and he seemed less interested in food but still eating a little.

Yesterday even with no visible signs his breathing had gotten bad enough that I decided to fresh water dip and treat the whole tank with praziquantel thinking gill flukes. During the FWD I saw nothing in the bottom of the container but after putting him back in the DT It did look like tiny worms were falling off of him.

Treated tank with praziquantel and he seems way better! Swimming with his mate at the bottom of tank not breathing nearly as hard but now has one small white spot on his back and it looks like his tail Fin has tiny little worms hanging off of it.

I can't get a pic of the tail Fin critters but it doesn't look like fun rot.

Could this all be just the prazi working and the parasites dying or should I be getting ready to remove them both and treat with copper?

Pic kinda shows the white dot on the clownfish with no black. Sorry about the quality it's from my phone.
IMG20190815101051.jpg
IMG20190815101036.jpg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant really yell by the photo since it is so blurry. Can you try and capture anther picture?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the worms appear to have a little V tail? Could be anchor worms.
Velvet is typically too many spots to count or a dusted appearance. Ich looks like granules of salt stuck to the fish and brook is typically sloughing skin.

OP
OP
T

Tosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I've finally got a decent photo of him. Progress is that all the worm like things on his fins have dropped off or disappeared. He now only has a sore on his side which seems to be getting slowly worse. He's eating a tiny bit but hardly what his tankmate is. Other fish is perfectly fine. I was fearing Brooke but I'm guessing with this length of time gone that's unlikely as he would have deteriorated quickly? Just finished prazi first dose have copper ready if it's needed but just not sure. He's still breathing heavier that he should.
IMG20190817085416.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is probably Brook or the start of Uronema, from the looks of it.
Looks like uronema to me. Metroplex in a qt and feeding it with focus to bind it to the food for 14 days would be my suggestion.

This would treat brook as well.

OP
OP
T

Tosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is metroplex exactly? As in active ingredients. I'm in Australia so everything is different brands and names here.

OP
OP
T

Tosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind I just googled it and realised its a seachem product one of the few brands that are exactly the same here.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind I just googled it and realised its a seachem product one of the few brands that are exactly the same here.
If you are able to get the Metroplex (which is metronidazole) use the higher dosage amount. They provide a range and their medication is diluted somewhat. So the higher dosage is definitely a must against Uronema.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back