Flukes in my DT

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 gallon fowlr . last few days I noticed my emperor angel is flashing and has cloudy eyes and cloydy fins or fraid fins . The eye has somethings protruding I believe its flukes. I added prazipro to my DT and watched for few minutes to my surprise the white stuffs began falling out and the emperor eyes has some white stuffs hanging . Is there anything I need to do besides prazi? Also how long to treat .. any Sid effects of prazipro treatment in DT?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 gallon fowlr . last few days I noticed my emperor angel is flashing and has cloudy eyes and cloydy fins or fraid fins . The eye has somethings protruding I believe its flukes. I added prazipro to my DT and watched for few minutes to my surprise the white stuffs began falling out and the emperor eyes has some white stuffs hanging . Is there anything I need to do besides prazi? Also how long to treat .. any Sid effects of prazipro treatment in DT?
Pictures or a short video would help. Always boost your aeration when dosing Prazipro. If these are an egglaying species of fluke, you’ll need to dose the tank again in about 10 days, to kill any recently hatched flukes. I often find that a third treatment a week later is also needed.
Jay

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures or a short video would help. Always boost your aeration when dosing Prazipro. If these are an egglaying species of fluke, you’ll need to dose the tank again in about 10 days, to kill any recently hatched flukes. I often find that a third treatment a week later is also needed.
Jay
Thanks !! I will post a picture soon once i get back to home

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
I went home and all the white cloudiness on fins and eyes are gone fish is happily eating and swimming .

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is prazipro safe in reef tanks ?
Sort of. It may kill feather dusters. Some delicate SPS may be unhappy. You also need to increase aeration when using it, and still run any skimmers, just don’t collect skimmate

Jay.

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay

I think I'll set up a dip system and give the fish dips as I see fit . It's been one or two at a time so hopefully they can't keep up with the frequent dips.

I'm very hesitant to add any chemicals directly in the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay

I think I'll set up a dip system and give the fish dips as I see fit . It's been one or two at a time so hopefully they can't keep up with the frequent dips.

I'm very hesitant to add any chemicals directly in the tank.
The trouble is - dips are only partially effective, so the fish tend to get reinfected. I once had a large batfish (in the days before prazi) that I did formalin dips on for almost a year and couldn't get rid of Neobenedenia flukes. That said, prazi often has to be treated 3x, 10 days apart to get good control.

Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.1%
Back