flukes or bacterial infection? please help course of action

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i bought a juvinile emperor angelfish about a week and half ago. She has been doing really well eating like a pig! the only thing I noticed was two small white patches on the normal transparent tail. All of a sudden in one day tail fin is ragged and notices the whitish parts grew larger. I immediately suspected bacterial infection (fin rot) so I dosed kanaplex and feeding food soaked with metroplex. However, I just read someone else's post that suggested it may be flukes. since I did noticed very minor twitching but NO heavy breathing so i did a 5 minute freshwater dip. I did see maybe 3 or 4 sesame seeds in dip when done but thought I suspect more and they seemed larger than I suspected. Should I have seen more? should I stop the antibotics and go to prazipro? if so best way to do that?

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here some pics

Attachments

• BB2A9B62-E9E0-498C-8568-F1519AA56D95.jpeg
    BB2A9B62-E9E0-498C-8568-F1519AA56D95.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 114
  • C051BDFC-9950-4963-90BF-A6E2974344D0.jpeg
    C051BDFC-9950-4963-90BF-A6E2974344D0.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 4841378D-FCA1-4DD0-A7E3-2CFDC0F184AA.jpeg
    4841378D-FCA1-4DD0-A7E3-2CFDC0F184AA.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 108

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here some pics
Are there any other fish in with it that could have caused the fin damage?
Emperor angels frequently get Neobenedenia flukes, but frayed fins like that are not a primary symptom; more typically you see cloudy eyes, milky skin, and a basic “worn” look. These don’t cause rapid breathing until very late in the infection. They are pretty large and are really the only fluke you can see after a dip, they look like fish scales on the bottom of the dip container.
Jay

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other fish in with it that could have caused the fin damage?
Emperor angels frequently get Neobenedenia flukes, but frayed fins like that are not a primary symptom; more typically you see cloudy eyes, milky skin, and a basic “worn” look. These don’t cause rapid breathing until very late in the infection. They are pretty large and are really the only fluke you can see after a dip, they look like fish scales on the bottom of the dip container.
Jay
She is the only one in tank so definitely not nipping from other fish. she is very active and doesn’t look worn. I may see a little little of milky skin but that wasn’t really seen until after the dip so not sure of a reaction. What I did notice the there were clear clean oval circle marks that appeared to be in the milky skin if that makes sense! Almost suspected maybe that is where they were attacked but I am guessing at that. The tail fin rapidly fraying still has me concerned that not caused from the flukes as well. Could it be bacterial as well as flukes? What is best course of action? Thank you so much

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is the only one in tank so definitely not nipping from other fish. she is very active and doesn’t look worn. I may see a little little of milky skin but that wasn’t really seen until after the dip so not sure of a reaction. What I did notice the there were clear clean oval circle marks that appeared to be in the milky skin if that makes sense! Almost suspected maybe that is where they were attacked but I am guessing at that. The tail fin rapidly fraying still has me concerned that not caused from the flukes as well. Could it be bacterial as well as flukes? What is best course of action? Thank you so much
That sure does sound like Neobenedenia. One side effect of flukes is secondary bacterial infection due to the biting/chewing done by the flukes.

I think the first step would be to dose with Prazipro (2x, 8 days apart, with good aeration). In between the doses, you could consider continuing the kanaplex. Skip the metro in food, that won't be of any help.

jay

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay! Just dosed prazipro and will see how it goes and let you know. She did seem to have Milky skin again this morning and the weird part "to me" is the frayed fin was only on the tail and nothing on the pectoral fins!! I don't know so maybe flukes on tail cut circulation to the tail. Just me trying to be a doctor! Hopefully all goes well and caught soon enough she still eats like a pig which is always hopeful to me!

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sure does sound like Neobenedenia. One side effect of flukes is secondary bacterial infection due to the biting/chewing done by the flukes.

I think the first step would be to dose with Prazipro (2x, 8 days apart, with good aeration). In between the doses, you could consider continuing the kanaplex. Skip the metro in food, that won't be of any help.

jay
Jay. Any advice for next course of action as I am a little perplexed. Recap 2 weeks ago fish developed frayed fins and some white discoloration on fins. Thought bacterial so started kanaplex and them did freshwater dip and thought I seen a few of the sesame seeds flukes in bucket but now second guessing. I dosed Prazi 10 days ago The fish actually started looking much better. Not sure due to the kanaplex or prazi. I went away for the few past days came home and the cloudy fins are back and the milk or hazy skin back and a little lethargic. Thinking maybe flukes back I did freshwater dip again and seen nothing. Now I am thinking could this be velvet but 10 days ago never gasps for air and eat like a pig. So now here I am wondering what to do. Should I continue the kanaplex if bacterial. Continue prazi, or go to copper? Any suggestions please just don’t know course or order to try. ?

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some latest pics

Attachments

• 2BF26349-56C6-41E9-BDE5-B2A19ABFE477.jpeg
    2BF26349-56C6-41E9-BDE5-B2A19ABFE477.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 3CACF3CB-E5B2-47E3-975E-B3C25816BCD4.jpeg
    3CACF3CB-E5B2-47E3-975E-B3C25816BCD4.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 3779AB86-8B0F-44DC-8A02-D94EE2BB0F34.jpeg
    3779AB86-8B0F-44DC-8A02-D94EE2BB0F34.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 520D949F-31E3-4590-8DC8-BDC36F0187F7.jpeg
    520D949F-31E3-4590-8DC8-BDC36F0187F7.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 91

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay. Any advice for next course of action as I am a little perplexed. Recap 2 weeks ago fish developed frayed fins and some white discoloration on fins. Thought bacterial so started kanaplex and them did freshwater dip and thought I seen a few of the sesame seeds flukes in bucket but now second guessing. I dosed Prazi 10 days ago The fish actually started looking much better. Not sure due to the kanaplex or prazi. I went away for the few past days came home and the cloudy fins are back and the milk or hazy skin back and a little lethargic. Thinking maybe flukes back I did freshwater dip again and seen nothing. Now I am thinking could this be velvet but 10 days ago never gasps for air and eat like a pig. So now here I am wondering what to do. Should I continue the kanaplex if bacterial. Continue prazi, or go to copper? Any suggestions please just don’t know course or order to try. ?
If you aren’t seeing rapid breathing, it isn’t velvet.
You didn’t do a second prazi treatment? Could the flukes have returned? They would be young and not as visible in dips.
However, just looking at the fish, it does seem to have a bacterial infection. Therefore, I’d suggest continuing the antibiotic.
Jay

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren’t seeing rapid breathing, it isn’t velvet.
You didn’t do a second prazi treatment? Could the flukes have returned? They would be young and not as visible in dips.
However, just looking at the fish, it does seem to have a bacterial infection. Therefore, I’d suggest continuing the antibiotic.
Jay
Thanks Jay! I didn’t get to do the second treatment until about day 9 because I was away. The flukes could have returned I guess I just wouldn’t have expected this bad looking quick if they were young flukes. The fraying fins has me more concerned. What’s odd to me was the tail actually healed and started growing back. Then took the turn for worse. I guess I will do the kanaplex treatment for a couple days and see how it goes. If continues bad I will switch back to the prazi. I did 25 percent water change and running heavy carbon to get meds out for a fresh start. Does that sound like an ok plan? Thanks in advance

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back