Flukes or ich?? They are eating very well

Ryan1277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help identifying weather this is flukes, ich or velvet. Noticed yesterday, they are in QT as of last night with coppersafe. They are hungry and eating normally today eating formula 2 pellets and garlic nori. Question can I add Parzipro if it’s flukes if I already have coppersafe in the tank?
E6657A29-550D-44BD-BD16-A6226C29E9CE.jpeg
1224D37E-CE5F-4724-A545-F7995DB5F390.jpeg E75839BB-2752-4B2F-84D9-7A5D6E38E1EE.jpeg 97C025DB-C556-4D3D-9426-02EFA2FDB7CA.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is ich, not flukes. The spots are too large to be velvet.
Coppersafe is really safe, but it is slow to cure with active disease like this. Figure on 72 hours before it starts to turn around. Are you at a full dose? Do you have a copper test kit to check it?
Jay

theocorals537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, I’d start copper treatment as soon as possible. Hanna makes a accurate test kit for copper for people who quarantine. Keep us updated , good luck!

OP
OP
Ryan1277

Ryan1277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, I’d start copper treatment as soon as possible. Hanna makes a accurate test kit for copper for people who quarantine. Keep us updated , good luck!
I started coppersafe last night, I bought a Hanna checker a month ago, I thought I added enough coppersafe for 36 gallons, unfortunately I just checked it and it’s only reading .84 on the checker, I added 9 teaspoons going by instructions of 1 teaspoon per gallon

OP
OP
Ryan1277

Ryan1277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is ich, not flukes. The spots are too large to be velvet.
Coppersafe is really safe, but it is slow to cure with active disease like this. Figure on 72 hours before it starts to turn around. Are you at a full dose? Do you have a copper test kit to check it?
Jay
I just checked it with my Hannah meter, it’s only at .84, I added 9 teaspoons last night per instructions of 1 teaspoon per 4 gallons since I have a 36 gallon qt tank. Guess I’ll have to add more

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked it with my Hannah meter, it’s only at .84, I added 9 teaspoons last night per instructions of 1 teaspoon per 4 gallons since I have a 36 gallon qt tank. Guess I’ll have to add more
I was looking at the fish in the pictures, but now, looking past them, it looks like you have calcareous rock in the QT. That can absorb copper. However, I'm worried - it you added a full dose and are only reading at .84, that means the rock took out more than half the copper overnight, and that seems like a lot. I worry that something else is going on - the Hanna checker not working, your tank volume is wrong, or something else? The reality is though, you need to get up to full copper ASAP.

Jay

OP
OP
Ryan1277

Ryan1277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the fish in the pictures, but now, looking past them, it looks like you have calcareous rock in the QT. That can absorb copper. However, I'm worried - it you added a full dose and are only reading at .84, that means the rock took out more than half the copper overnight, and that seems like a lot. I worry that something else is going on - the Hanna checker not working, your tank volume is wrong, or something else? The reality is though, you need to get up to full copper ASAP.

Jay
Thanks Jay, I added more copper last night, I got it up to 1.84ppm. I’m going to check it again this morning to see where it’s at. I waited about 30 minutes last night before checking after dozing.

OP
OP
Ryan1277

Ryan1277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man.. hopefully you cure these lil guys in time. Nice fish
Jay what’s the best method to remove fish from QT? They are about 10 days in, they all look great. I was thinking either 14 days or maybe 30days to remove them. Just wondering what’s the best method out of copper, current water conditions are 2.1ppm cooper using coppersafe, salinity is 1.010. Do I gradually raise salt and lower copper over a few days?

my DT is just fish and invertebrates no corals. I know the copper will kill my invertebrates

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great to hear your fish are on a comeback. Are you treating in the actual display tank ?
As you are working with Jay on this, I just wanted to add input on diet. Assure these fish are getting what is crucial. Veggie pellets will not cut it. Feed at Minimum:

Spirulina brine shrimp
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
LRS Herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Hikari Marine cuisine
Hikari Mega marine algae
Mysis shrimp
small plankton

Add selcon vitamins to the food 2-3X per week and garlic extract on alternating days for immunity system health and overall stamina

https://www.reef2ree

OP
OP
Ryan1277

Ryan1277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear your fish are on a comeback. Are you treating in the actual display tank ?
As you are working with Jay on this, I just wanted to add input on diet. Assure these fish are getting what is crucial. Veggie pellets will not cut it. Feed at Minimum:

Spirulina brine shrimp
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
LRS Herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Hikari Marine cuisine
Hikari Mega marine algae
Mysis shrimp
small plankton

Add selcon vitamins to the food 2-3X per week and garlic extract on alternating days for immunity system health and overall stamina

https://www.reef2ree
I’ve been giving them the nori with garlic and formula 2 flakes, they love the nori and formula 2 pellets but don’t seem interested in formula 2 flakes. I feel like certain fish I’ve owned don’t care much for flakes and rush to the pellets. I’ve never owned tangs before, mine eat off the bottom probably more than in the water, but in all fairness the formula 2 pellets sink quickly to the bottom of the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve been giving them the nori with garlic and formula 2 flakes, they love the nori and formula 2 pellets but don’t seem interested in formula 2 flakes. I feel like certain fish I’ve owned don’t care much for flakes and rush to the pellets. I’ve never owned tangs before, mine eat off the bottom probably more than in the water, but in all fairness the formula 2 pellets sink quickly to the bottom of the tank.
Trust me- Nori and flakes will not cut it for these fish. Add to their diet.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay what’s the best method to remove fish from QT? They are about 10 days in, they all look great. I was thinking either 14 days or maybe 30days to remove them. Just wondering what’s the best method out of copper, current water conditions are 2.1ppm cooper using coppersafe, salinity is 1.010. Do I gradually raise salt and lower copper over a few days?

my DT is just fish and invertebrates no corals. I know the copper will kill my invertebrates
I think I need a bit more information; I didn't realize that you were using coppersafe AND hyposalinity. While that can be done, it is more stressful to the fish and it makes water changes more difficult.

I don't like to keep fish in hypo longer than 14 days, but I keep fish in coppersafe for 30. Since I never do both at the same time, I can't really advise you from personal experience. My gut tells me that after 14 days, you need to raise the salinity back to full strength over 5 days, but keep the copper going for a full 30 days.

I don't understand where you say your DT is fish an invertebrates - if there are still fish in there, and the fish with ich had been in that tank as well, you will be battling reinfection issues. If you pulled all of the fish, then the tank can still be infective for ich for a minimum of 45 days (at 81 degrees F.) to as long as 76 days in some cases.

Jay

Back