Flukes or ick

Colton Yuchnewicz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iv had my yellow Corris wrasse in my qt tank for a couple months now. The qt tank was previously my old smaller display turned qt.

He has been constantly flashing rocks with zero signs of ick on the body. I though I saw flukes(small white shades on his body). He has been threw multiple rounds of Prazi pro. Two two round doses. Freshwater dipped last night for 3-1/2min nothing came off. He still has the same white shades on him in the same spots. Thinking they possibly came from him flashing.

How occurring are the Prazi resistant strains of flukes? And could this be ick in the gills?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had flukes that were not affected by prazi multiple times since last fall.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iv had my yellow Corris wrasse in my qt tank for a couple months now. The qt tank was previously my old smaller display turned qt.

He has been constantly flashing rocks with zero signs of ick on the body. I though I saw flukes(small white shades on his body). He has been threw multiple rounds of Prazi pro. Two two round doses. Freshwater dipped last night for 3-1/2min nothing came off. He still has the same white shades on him in the same spots. Thinking they possibly came from him flashing.

How occurring are the Prazi resistant strains of flukes? And could this be ick in the gills?

Ok, been there done this. I’ve QT’ed wrasses that had flukes that were Prazi resistant and it took fenbendazole to treat. I also had a group that harbored Velvet for 3 weeks and then it killed one and then I knew. Both groups would flash and tbh it was a guessing game because they never showed any other symptoms.
Have they been through copper yet?

OP
OP
Colton Yuchnewicz

Colton Yuchnewicz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, been there done this. I’ve QT’ed wrasses that had flukes that were Prazi resistant and it took fenbendazole to treat. I also had a group that harbored Velvet for 3 weeks and then it killed one and then I knew. Both groups would flash and tbh it was a guessing game because they never showed any other symptoms.
Have they been through copper yet?

Going into copper in about a week. This guy has never missed a meal and has had one other fish in the qt that have since been moved out for over two months into the dt(firefish).

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a freshwater dip is done for roughly 4min and no flukes in water, is it safe to rule them out?

Yes, provided you used a dark container and/or looked very carefully. I use a magnifying glass as some can be very small. It also helps if you have seen them before.

That said, a clear dip should mean a fluke free fish.

OP
OP
Colton Yuchnewicz

Colton Yuchnewicz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, provided you used a dark container and/or looked very carefully. I use a magnifying glass as some can be very small. It also helps if you have seen them before.

That said, a clear dip should mean a fluke free fish.

Ideally you want 5 min for a dip as they (flukes) start coming off typically around 4 minutes

Thank you guys. Gonna give him a 5min dip tonight and go from there. Thanks again.

Back