Flukes or itchy from copper?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've attached here a video of my juvi orange shoulder tang in QT currently under copper. Fish was introduced when copper was already in the system and has been rubbing like this since day one pretty constantly.

I believe it looks like irritation from flukes, not just the itchy copper behavior.

Would y'all tend to agree?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've attached here a video of my juvi orange shoulder tang in QT currently under copper. Fish was introduced when copper was already in the system and has been rubbing like this since day one pretty constantly.

I believe it looks like irritation from flukes, not just the itchy copper behavior.

Would y'all tend to agree?

I know copper is implicated in making fish "scratch" but I don't see that myself, not with coppersafe anyway.

I think it is more likely to be flukes. Copper won't do much for that.

Prazipro is what I generally suggest, but I hate to tell people to hit copper and prazi at the same time, especially in a new QT. Your water seems a bit foamy, you'll want to keep an eye on the ammonia.

Your options would be:

1) Finish the copper and then hit them with prazi,. and hope that the flukes don't get too advanced during that time.
2) Give all the fish a 5 minute FW dip to buy you some time, finish the copper, and then dose with prazipro.
3) Dose copper and prazi right now (lots of aeration, keep ammonia below 0.25 ppm)
4) Pull the copper and dose with prazi, and then redose with copper after 2x prazi, ten days apart.

Personally, I like option #2, but your mileage may vary....

Jay

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know copper is implicated in making fish "scratch" but I don't see that myself, not with coppersafe anyway.

I think it is more likely to be flukes. Copper won't do much for that.

Prazipro is what I generally suggest, but I hate to tell people to hit copper and prazi at the same time, especially in a new QT. Your water seems a bit foamy, you'll want to keep an eye on the ammonia.

Your options would be:

1) Finish the copper and then hit them with prazi,. and hope that the flukes don't get too advanced during that time.
2) Give all the fish a 5 minute FW dip to buy you some time, finish the copper, and then dose with prazipro.
3) Dose copper and prazi right now (lots of aeration, keep ammonia below 0.25 ppm)
4) Pull the copper and dose with prazi, and then redose with copper after 2x prazi, ten days apart.

Personally, I like option #2, but your mileage may vary....

Jay
Thanks Jay.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back