Flukes or Paranoid???

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I recently bought a breeding pair of clownfish and they seemed fine when I put them into the tank. They didn’t eat for the first few days as expected but then didn’t eat at all after that. A week has went by and they have started now to eat however the female clown has been showing some weird behaviour. First it was the Male thrashing his head and swimming weird and breathing heavily. I put this down to stress from moving tanks.
However the female now does it and is breathing heavily.

I gave them both a freshwater dip yesterday and couldn’t see any flukes drop out but the female is still thrashing her head from time to time and swimming in circles. Not sure if she’s still just getting familiar with her new environment.

there is lots of oxygen in the tank and the water parameters are as follows:

ammonia - 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate - 0
PH- 8.2
Temp- 80
Salinity 1.024

the tank has been up and running for months and has had previous fish in that we’re doing just fine in there before I moved them into a different tank. I don’t know if it’s gill flukes or I’m just being paranoid.

would I still be able to treat for gill flukes even if they didn’t have them or would it add unnecessary stress on the fish? And possibly ruin the bioload?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyway possible to post a video? It’s just hard to rule out goofy clown fish behaviors anymore, even if unlikely.
Paranoid? No, not at what this hobby cost. It’s cheaper to post here for advice regardless

OP
OP
D

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard because every time I try and video they don’t do the twitch I have a video of their breathing though. The Male isn’t breathing heavy anymore but female is breathing heavy with mouth open but still eating

OP
OP
D

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you can sort of see the Male twitch towards the end of this video and that’s kind of what they’ve been doing but a bit more noticeable than that

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say definitively but they kinda communicate in a body language thing if you watch em. You sure that’s not it? Just tossing it out there…and fingers crossed someone else chimes in with another plausible and benign theory

OP
OP
D

dt98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say definitively but they kinda communicate in a body language thing if you watch em. You sure that’s not it? Just tossing it out there
It could be, just they don’t shake as much as other clowns that I’ve had have done. And the Male doesn’t really curl into the female and twitch to show submission they just kind of twitch when they’re not that close to eachother sometimes

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I'd dose prazipro. You're not necessarily going to see flukes in a fresh water dip.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back