Flukes or Velvet

fluffyhobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, to start off I got a batch of new fish consisting of a jawfish, two cardinals, and a royal gramma back on the 21st of May. On the 21st I noticed one of the cardinal fish was breathing very heavy and not swimming well. I figured he was just stressed out from the move and needed time to calm down, but he ended up dying the next day. Fast forward to about 5 days ago my jawfish was acting very strange. He came out of his cave and was swimming to the surface doing little jumps and breathing very heavy like he was trying to get oxygen. This was at 1am and I figured it was a lack of oxygen in the tank so I put in an air stone. When I woke up the next morning he was also dead. Yesterday my royal gramma which was also new, began to breathe very heavy and stopped eating. He also died today while I was trying to figure out the problem. I am trying to figure out if its flukes or velvet but I am having trouble as they both have the same symptoms. All of these fish have died within 30 hours of showing symptoms, they were all breathing heavily and two out of the three fish were acting reclusive besides the cardinal. None of the fish showed any obvious white spots when just looking at them either but I know that sometimes velvet can invade gills and kill the fish right away. I just bought coppersafe and przirpo and needing help on which to treat first in my qt tank.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet is known as the fast killer.
That’s my vote if they die, one by one and overnight.
It infects the gills and suffocates the fish.

OP
OP
F

fluffyhobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet is known as the fast killer.
That’s my vote if they die, one by one and overnight.
It infects the gills and suffocates the fish.
Yea they are all dying one by one and every single one has been at nighttime.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rapid breathing and subsequent quick deaths do sound like velvet. You should treat your QT with coppersafe first before prazi. Best of luck!

OP
OP
F

fluffyhobo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
771C69A3-2CF3-4E60-8A5E-10535C4E0819.jpeg

Got everyone that’s left into the hospital tank. Starting with 1 ppm copper power and will raise slowly over the next two days or so if I can. Everyone seems to be doing good as is, cardinal fish has been “yawning” which I have not seen him do before.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, to start off I got a batch of new fish consisting of a jawfish, two cardinals, and a royal gramma back on the 21st of May. On the 21st I noticed one of the cardinal fish was breathing very heavy and not swimming well. I figured he was just stressed out from the move and needed time to calm down, but he ended up dying the next day. Fast forward to about 5 days ago my jawfish was acting very strange. He came out of his cave and was swimming to the surface doing little jumps and breathing very heavy like he was trying to get oxygen. This was at 1am and I figured it was a lack of oxygen in the tank so I put in an air stone. When I woke up the next morning he was also dead. Yesterday my royal gramma which was also new, began to breathe very heavy and stopped eating. He also died today while I was trying to figure out the problem. I am trying to figure out if its flukes or velvet but I am having trouble as they both have the same symptoms. All of these fish have died within 30 hours of showing symptoms, they were all breathing heavily and two out of the three fish were acting reclusive besides the cardinal. None of the fish showed any obvious white spots when just looking at them either but I know that sometimes velvet can invade gills and kill the fish right away. I just bought coppersafe and przirpo and needing help on which to treat first in my qt tank.
As has been told. The expedited deaths sound like velvet and since the protozoan cab attack the fishes gills there may not be any noticable even spots.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PraxiPro won’t help. Thad is for flatworms and flukes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back