Flukes!!!!

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think is the best treatment for flukes on large angels dwarf angels, butterfly's and tangs. I have all these in my display that is a FOWLR. No inverts. Salinity at .20 fine sugar sand about 2-3 in as substrate. Running filter socks, atb 1050v2 skimmer run 3 reactors (not all the time) carbon,purigen, cuprisorb sometimes. I also does NoPox by Red Sea. Not sure I have flukes but I am pretty sure. I just lost my bandit who was healthy eating great and then started hiding in the corner still ate but not like he used to. Then belly up overnight. Rear fins a little frayed. Then lost a coral beauty two days later. My neon goby was actually in my queens gill cleaning. Will most likely treat the display since it has no inverts. Plus just to many fish to remove and has an adequate place to QT. My current qt system is a 40 breeder and there are two fish being treated with CP right now.

I can catch the scribble angel and the tinkeri butterfly as they will swim right into my stainless steel net when eating. Not sure I want to attempt a fresh water dip on them first. Two of my favs

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually if one fish has flukes, more will. A freshwater dip will confirm flukes so you can dip a different fish from the tank if you're worried about dipping an angel or something. But a freshwater dip should at least provide some temporary relief.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro. Easy peezey.. Shake and read the directions. Shut down reactors, pull chemical medias, and protein skimmer for 48 hours because they will foam up big time of you don't. 1 tbsp per 20 gallon. A good water change prior to use of it, because you will not have all your bells and whistles running. Dose it once. Wait a week. Rinse and repeat what to do and shut everything down for another 48hrs.
Really clean out your skimmer, because the water will be sitting stagnant and there could be flukes in there that got caught up.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prezipro. Easy peezey.. Shake and reed the directions. Shut down reactors, pull chemical medias, and protein skimmer for 48 hours because they will foam up bog time of you don't. 1 tbsp per 20 gallon. A good water change prior to use of it, because you will not have all your bells and whistles running. Dose it once. Wait a week. Rinse and repeat what to do and shut everything down for another 48hrs.

Going to do a water change tomorrow then dose prazi pro

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi will take care of flukes, but if you can easily catch one for a fw dip that would help you confirm it is flukes that you're dealing with, and not something more urgent.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being it's a FOWLR, I would run hypo for a week:
Another method that can be used for capsalid monogeneans is hyposalinity. In one study, 15 g/L (ppt) salinity or lower for two days eliminated juvenile and adult Neobenedenia melleni. When 15 g/L was maintained for 5 days, the hatching of N. melleni eggs was prevented. It is important to note that some fish species may not tolerate this treatment method.

Source: http://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/Monogenean-Parasites-of-Fish.pdf

No corals/inverts, right?

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being it's a FOWLR, I would run hypo for a week:

Source: http://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/Monogenean-Parasites-of-Fish.pdf

No corals/inverts, right?
Humblefish I read the study above that you referenced and have a question, the study said 1.012 sg killed all adult and juvenile flukes and prevented the hatching of the eggs, however once the sg is raised will the eggs then hatch? The study failed to mention if this is a temporary delay or permanent. Any idea or am I reading to deeply.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish I read the study above that you referenced and have a question, the study said 1.012 sg killed all adult and juvenile flukes and prevented the hatching of the eggs, however once the sg is raised will the eggs then hatch? The study failed to mention if this is a temporary delay or permanent. Any idea or am I reading to deeply.

5 days of hypo exposure damages eggs to the point where hatching is prevented. It basically kills them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back