Flukes!!!!

basicfisherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pink spotted goby with flukes. He was breathing heavy and has cloudy eyes. I read it was probably flukes so I hand caught him and did a freshwater dip. He has flukes for sure! I have a bunch of other fish in my reef and I need to treat for obvious reason. Can I dose PraziPro and not have it effect my corals? I don't have any ornamental feather dusters or anything like that. I do have a clam. Will it effect that?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pink spotted goby with flukes. He was breathing heavy and has cloudy eyes. I read it was probably flukes so I hand caught him and did a freshwater dip. He has flukes for sure! I have a bunch of other fish in my reef and I need to treat for obvious reason. Can I dose PraziPro and not have it effect my corals? I don't have any ornamental feather dusters or anything like that. I do have a clam. Will it effect that?
Prazipro has a high oxygen demand from the bacteria that breaks down the glycol solvent that is used. If you have a skimmer you can run it without collecting anything in the cup during treatment. Adding an airstone to the tank is also a good idea. Your corals will likely react negatively, but if they are in good shape, they will handle it ok.
Jay

OP
OP
basicfisherman

basicfisherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro has a high oxygen demand from the bacteria that breaks down the glycol solvent that is used. If you have a skimmer you can run it without collecting anything in the cup during treatment. Adding an airstone to the tank is also a good idea. Your corals will likely react negatively, but if they are in good shape, they will handle it ok.
Jay

Thanks for the advice. After doing some more digging on the medication I do believe I should be fine treating the whole tank. From what your saying and what I have read it really ticks everything off in the tank for a couple hours.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish died about an hour after FW dip.
That commonly happens when a fish with a severe fluke infestation is given a FW dip - all of the flukes drop off at once, leaving the holes they made in the fish's skin wide open and the fish bleeds out. The only way around that is something that I've tried in the past - give the fish a short dip, try to just knock off a few flukes, and then 2 days later, repeat the process, and then again a third time. In reality, it is almost impossible to time this to knock off just the right number of flukes....

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back