Flukes??

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Is this Flukes or Ick? The fish was feeding at the LFS when I got it.

20210225_110726.jpg

I gave it a fresh water dip for about 7 minutes, but I could only see very few white spots in the dip container. White spots seems to have gone after the dip, but the fish has been lethargic and breathing heavily after the FW dip.

Pic after the dip.
20210225_120925_001.jpg

I have seperated the Tang from others. What should I do now?

Regards
Sid

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The way to find out is to give it a freshwater dip for about 5 minutes preferably in a dark bucket and return it to the tank
Look on the bottom of bucket and see if there is anything that looks like sesame seeds or fish scales.
Those are your flukes. A flashlight may help.
If none, parasitical.
Assure water temp is 76-79 and salinity at least 1.024
Diet also important

OP
OP
SiD

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way to find out is to give it a freshwater dip for about 5 minutes preferably in a dark bucket and return it to the tank
Look on the bottom of bucket and see if there is anything that looks like sesame seeds or fish scales.
Those are your flukes. A flashlight may help.
If none, parasitical.
Assure water temp is 76-79 and salinity at least 1.024
Diet also important
Have FW dipped in a black container but could find only 2 to 4 white thingy at the bottom.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have FW dipped in a black container but could find only 2 to 4 white thingy at the bottom.
How long was fish in bucket

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

Can you please provide your views.

Thanks
Sid
Velvet's main (and sometimes only) symptom is rapid breathing. Other diseases cause rapid breathing, but only at later stages. If you can count the fish's gill beats for 15 seconds, and then multiply that by four, the number should be around 80. More that 100 to 120 and it could be velvet.

Here is the big issue - it is entirely possible for fish to have multiple serious diseases at the same time! I see ich in the top picture, but the fish could easily have flukes at the same time. The FW dip has bought you a bit of time, but do you have a treatment tank available? For ich or velvet, you'll need to start a copper treatment using a good test kit right away. Flukes can be treated with praziquantel, but you have a bit of time to do that because of the FW dip.

Jay

OP
OP
SiD

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet's main (and sometimes only) symptom is rapid breathing. Other diseases cause rapid breathing, but only at later stages. If you can count the fish's gill beats for 15 seconds, and then multiply that by four, the number should be around 80. More that 100 to 120 and it could be velvet.

Here is the big issue - it is entirely possible for fish to have multiple serious diseases at the same time! I see ich in the top picture, but the fish could easily have flukes at the same time. The FW dip has bought you a bit of time, but do you have a treatment tank available? For ich or velvet, you'll need to start a copper treatment using a good test kit right away. Flukes can be treated with praziquantel, but you have a bit of time to do that because of the FW dip.

Jay
Thanks for your views. Can this be stress related ? The scoopas was being chased and picked by my Brown powder tang just after release in the display tank.
Regards
Sid

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your views. Can this be stress related ? The scoopas was being chased and picked by my Brown powder tang just after release in the display tank.
Regards
Sid
Yes, acute stress can certainly cause a disease to break out, but once that happens, it becomes a stressor itself and needs to be treated.

Jay

OP
OP
SiD

SiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, acute stress can certainly cause a disease to break out, but once that happens, it becomes a stressor itself and needs to be treated.

Jay
It is doing much better now and feeding. No apparent white spots. I did not treat it with any chemicals just kept it seperately for a week.
20210308_182143.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see, but remember - if the fish had ich, you are in a management phase and it can flare back up, so watch the fish closely. Also - if there were egg laying flukes, the FW dip will knock off the adults, but new eggs then hatch out, so each for symptoms after about 4 to 6 weeks.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back