Flukes

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jay

Jay you where helping me about 2 months ago on my snow flake eel that was yawning and shaking his head. I had him in a QT and treated with CP and 3 treatments of Prazipro. It seemed like he was fixed so I put him back in the DT tank and about 1 week ago I noticed him yawning so I am assuming I did not kill off all of the flukes. I can't remove him from the DT and I have 2 clowns and 1 blenny. I am going to treat the whole DT and did my first treatment today, I overdosed a little, I have a 75 Gallon with 20 gallons in the sump so estimated water volume of around 90 gallons. I dosed for 125 gallons. I did the dosing calc for flukes for 77.5 temp and 77 - 78 PH and 33 salinity it shows second treatment at 6 - 8 days. I know recommend 9 days, so just getting your take. I was going to do 4 complete treatments.

day 1 (june 2nd)
day 8 (june 9th)
day 16 *june 17th)
day 24 (june 25th)

Would you agree with this treatment. I have my skimmer running with no collection bucket. Just seems like I am having a problem with these flukes and really want to get rid of them.

The other option and I am sure it is overkill and probably bad but getting your opinion to treat day 6 and day 9, so that schedule would look like this.

assuming pro

day 1
day 6
day 9
day 15
day 18
day 23
day 26

Let me know what you think or if you have any other things I can try. I don't see anything wrong with the clowns or benny but want to make sure because I am adding a few fish in about 2 weeks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@jay

Jay you where helping me about 2 months ago on my snow flake eel that was yawning and shaking his head. I had him in a QT and treated with CP and 3 treatments of Prazipro. It seemed like he was fixed so I put him back in the DT tank and about 1 week ago I noticed him yawning so I am assuming I did not kill off all of the flukes. I can't remove him from the DT and I have 2 clowns and 1 blenny. I am going to treat the whole DT and did my first treatment today, I overdosed a little, I have a 75 Gallon with 20 gallons in the sump so estimated water volume of around 90 gallons. I dosed for 125 gallons. I did the dosing calc for flukes for 77.5 temp and 77 - 78 PH and 33 salinity it shows second treatment at 6 - 8 days. I know recommend 9 days, so just getting your take. I was going to do 4 complete treatments.

day 1 (june 2nd)
day 8 (june 9th)
day 16 *june 17th)
day 24 (june 25th)

Would you agree with this treatment. I have my skimmer running with no collection bucket. Just seems like I am having a problem with these flukes and really want to get rid of them.

The other option and I am sure it is overkill and probably bad but getting your opinion to treat day 6 and day 9, so that schedule would look like this.

assuming pro

day 1
day 6
day 9
day 15
day 18
day 23
day 26

Let me know what you think or if you have any other things I can try. I don't see anything wrong with the clowns or benny but want to make sure because I am adding a few fish in about 2 weeks.
While you await reply from @Jay Hemdal , did you treat for an 8 day interval, change water and treat 8 more days? If not- a full treatment was not administered with prazi

OP
OP
K

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did 3 treatments in QT and a Tank transfer. Did 25 percent water change before 2nd treatment and full water change with tank transfer before 3rd treatment. Each treatment was 9 days apart

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I did 3 treatments in QT and a Tank transfer. Did 25 percent water change before 2nd treatment and full water change with tank transfer before 3rd treatment. Each treatment was 9 days apart
While we await jays response - there are praziquantel resistant flukes as well. To me it's not clear that you have flukes - since that symptom can be at least a couple things

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jay

day 1 (june 2nd)
day 8 (june 9th)
day 16 *june 17th)
day 24 (june 25th)

assuming pro

day 1
day 6
day 9
day 15
day 18
day 23
day 26

If it’s the fluke treatment calculator I’m familiar with, it is designed for Neobenedenia. I’ve seen Neo on garden eels, but never morays. Also Neo isn’t a gill fluke, so doesn’t show those symptoms.
Still, 7,8 or 9 days are fine since you are running four treatments. I sat 9 days for people who are going to try just 2 treatments.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jay

is dosing for 125 gallons ok on a 90 gallon system so should i use more?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jay

is dosing for 125 gallons ok on a 90 gallon system so should i use more?
Are you using Prazipro or praziquantel powder? If Prazipro, the limiting factor is the glycol solvent, don’t high dose with that. Prazi powder can be dosed as high as 4 ppm as a static bath.
There is the whole heterotrophic bacteria issue - where the bacteria eats the prazi faster and faster with each addition…
Jay

OP
OP
K

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using Prazipro or praziquantel powder? If Prazipro, the limiting factor is the glycol solvent, don’t high dose with that. Prazi powder can be dosed as high as 4 ppm as a static bath.
There is the whole heterotrophic bacteria issue - where the bacteria eats the prazi faster and faster with each addition…
Jay
Jay I am using Prazipro so I will not over do it. I do have General Cure, would it be better to slightly over dose GC or stay with Prazipro?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay I am using Prazipro so I will not over do it. I do have General Cure, would it be better to slightly over dose GC or stay with Prazipro?
I would stay with the Prazipro. GC has metronidazole in it, and I'm not sure how well that can be done in an overdose situation.

Jay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay with the Prazipro. GC has metronidazole in it, and I'm not sure how well that can be done in an overdose situation.

Jay
I'll be dosing with prazipro starting tonight. I've picked up that, garlic and a cleaner shrimp for a blenny that's been showing symptoms. Says I should leave filtration on but turn the skimmer off. Surely I don't leave skimmer off for the whole 9 days do I? I did a 20% water change today too. It's a 53 gallon tank with 37lbs of rock and including sump water. I'll prolly dose for 50 gallons..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be dosing with prazipro starting tonight. I've picked up that, garlic and a cleaner shrimp for a blenny that's been showing symptoms. Says I should leave filtration on but turn the skimmer off. Surely I don't leave skimmer off for the whole 9 days do I? I did a 20% water change today too. It's a 53 gallon tank with 37lbs of rock and including sump water. I'll prolly dose for 50 gallons..

You need to have good aeration when running Prazipro, like an extra air stone. You should continue running the skimmer, just don't collect the effluent, let it go back into the tank.

Jay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I added it in the sump last night cup is off skimmer so far everything looks good haven't seen him flash this morning. Will do a couple more treatments in the following weeks. Garlic, cleaner shrimp, water change and prazipro for the win (hopefully). Right when I added the shrimp last night the blenny perched himself near it on a rock and had its mouth open he knew what's up. Didn't see shrimp touch him tho but idk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I added it in the sump last night cup is off skimmer so far everything looks good haven't seen him flash this morning. Will do a couple more treatments in the following weeks. Garlic, cleaner shrimp, water change and prazipro for the win (hopefully). Right when I added the shrimp last night the blenny perched himself near it on a rock and had its mouth open he knew what's up. Didn't see shrimp touch him tho but idk
You need to have good aeration when running Prazipro, like an extra air stone. You should continue running the skimmer, just don't collect the effluent, let it go back into the tank.

Jay
Hey Jay I was really hoping for more advice if you get the chance. So my midas blenny is still flashing and it did seem like he stopped for a couple days but possibly doing it more frequently again. Other than the flashing he seems solid tho he eats like a pig and swims all over not breathing heavy or anything. I don't see any white spots on him at all.

Now I am starting to see other symptoms I believe in the other fish. My royal grammas tail looks to be tattered and its gotten a little worse I believe over the last few days. Other than his tail fin tho he looks very healthy. Now my firefish he may have actual ich on him I've seen just a few small white spots but haven't seen him flash and he also eats and acts normal. I also have a yellow watchman goby that always hung out in front or along the side of the tank but now I noticed he moved into the rockwork. He has been healthy looking as well with no other symptoms but I found this a bit odd for him.

So with all this information I've confused myself am I dealing with multiple illness or am overanalyzing.. I've just started ordering all the medicines but was wondering if you could tell me what would be the best course of action with them? I don't want to lose these fish.. so I have prazipro, I also have kordon ich attack coming as well as neoplex and kanaplex. If you wouldn't mind sharing at least which ones to give, how often and which if any not to mix together. I'd appreciate it, this is literally keeping me awake at night and I don't know why the words went bold sry.. I still would also want to continue my weekly wc's.. I appreciate you putting up with me but I'm just worried. Ty

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay I was really hoping for more advice if you get the chance. So my midas blenny is still flashing and it did seem like he stopped for a couple days but possibly doing it more frequently again. Other than the flashing he seems solid tho he eats like a pig and swims all over not breathing heavy or anything. I don't see any white spots on him at all.

Now I am starting to see other symptoms I believe in the other fish. My royal grammas tail looks to be tattered and its gotten a little worse I believe over the last few days. Other than his tail fin tho he looks very healthy. Now my firefish he may have actual ich on him I've seen just a few small white spots but haven't seen him flash and he also eats and acts normal. I also have a yellow watchman goby that always hung out in front or along the side of the tank but now I noticed he moved into the rockwork. He has been healthy looking as well with no other symptoms but I found this a bit odd for him.

So with all this information I've confused myself am I dealing with multiple illness or am overanalyzing.. I've just started ordering all the medicines but was wondering if you could tell me what would be the best course of action with them? I don't want to lose these fish.. so I have prazipro, I also have kordon ich attack coming as well as neoplex and kanaplex. If you wouldn't mind sharing at least which ones to give, how often and which if any not to mix together. I'd appreciate it, this is literally keeping me awake at night and I don't know why the words went bold sry.. I still would also want to continue my weekly wc's.. I appreciate you putting up with me but I'm just worried. Ty

Indeed, you could have multiple problems going on.

I would not rely on ich attack. It is a herbal tonic, and those have a pretty poor track record at stopping active diseases. In fact, the Kordon web site says this: "It may be an inhibitor, but is not an eliminator of infectious viruses, bacteria and multi-celled organisms."

Prazi takes multiple treatments to control flukes, but if you also have ich going on, you would need to dose with copper, or better yet, hyposalinity. Of course, neither of those can be done with invertebrates present.

One thing though - I see now that you weren't the original poster on this thread. I was re-reading the thread thinking it was all the same person. It helps if you start your own threads, that way we can keep things separate.

Jay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I actually prefer starting a new thread I just always thought forums liked people to look up similar posts and add to them rather than flood the site with new threads. Ty, so today the blenny hasn't flashed as far as I have seen. The firefish I honestly don't know if it's ich he barely has any sort of white spot and besides that he's acting normal. I saw the goby this morning he is looking perfectly fine. The royal gramma is a bit of a concern right now as I haven't seen him yet today. That's not too weird for him tho he tends to stay in the rockwork for most the day. But usually I can spot him in his hiding place but not today..

But I've been shopping for a cheap qt tank setup online looks like I should be able to pick one up soon. Any thoughts on mixing those medicines with each other? Thanks again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I actually prefer starting a new thread I just always thought forums liked people to look up similar posts and add to them rather than flood the site with new threads. Ty, so today the blenny hasn't flashed as far as I have seen. The firefish I honestly don't know if it's ich he barely has any sort of white spot and besides that he's acting normal. I saw the goby this morning he is looking perfectly fine. The royal gramma is a bit of a concern right now as I haven't seen him yet today. That's not too weird for him tho he tends to stay in the rockwork for most the day. But usually I can spot him in his hiding place but not today..

But I've been shopping for a cheap qt tank setup online looks like I should be able to pick one up soon. Any thoughts on mixing those medicines with each other? Thanks again

Coppersafe or copper power can be dosed with Prazipro without any major issues. I'm not sure about Cupramine, not enough people have tried that.....

Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back