Flukes?

toomanymatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got these guy into the DT from the QT tank. It was proactively treated with copper, metroplex and PraziPro. He was hard to observe in the QT as he hid a lot. In the DT tank he stays out a lot more. Eating fine. I noticed that he twitches and dives into the sand from time to time. Fins don't appear to be the best. Thoughts?

I was researching possible flukes. I'm due for a water change. So I think i'll do that tonight and maybe a freshwater bath tomorrow. I don't want to do to much at one time...

20220808_200809.jpg 20220808_200836.jpg 20220808_200841.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got these guy into the DT from the QT tank. It was proactively treated with copper, metroplex and PraziPro. He was hard to observe in the QT as he hid a lot. In the DT tank he stays out a lot more. Eating fine. I noticed that he twitches and dives into the sand from time to time. Fins don't appear to be the best. Thoughts?

I was researching possible flukes. I'm due for a water change. So I think i'll do that tonight and maybe a freshwater bath tomorrow. I don't want to do to much at one time...

The behavior you describe suggests flukes or irritants. FW dip while not a cure will offer temporary relief
After the dip, look on bottom of the container for like seed like dots- those would be flukes which are worm like
If flukes, prazi pro (praziquantel) will be the treatment of choice for an 8 day interval, then water change and one more 8 day interval

OP
OP
T

toomanymatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your prazipro regimen?
After copper was reduced below 1.5 I did a dose of prazipro, followed by a second dose 7 days later. I had 3 newly purchased fish in there. This is the last one added to the DT, 1 week apart and the only one that has any issues.

OP
OP
T

toomanymatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The behavior you describe suggests flukes or irritants. FW dip while not a cure will offer temporary relief
After the dip, look on bottom of the container for like seed like dots- those would be flukes which are worm like
If flukes, prazi pro (praziquantel) will be the treatment of choice for an 8 day interval, then water change and one more 8 day interval
If freshwater dip indicates flukes, do I treat it back in the QT? I still have it set up, or treat the whole take. Is it easily contagious?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you did Prazi for 7 days x 2 (which it seems you did) the chances of flukes would be low. Any chance your dosing was off? I do believe that one type of fluke is harder to kill so flukes may still be a possibility.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If freshwater dip indicates flukes, do I treat it back in the QT? I still have it set up, or treat the whole take. Is it easily contagious?
Quarantine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flukes usually cannot be directly seen on fish, so you look for secondary symptoms like you reported; tattered fins, flashing, etc. Egg laying flukes often get through a prazi treatment. Luckily, you can dose prazi in your display if need be. FW dips won't cure the fish, and only one species of fluke is large enough to see in the dip water without a microscope.

Jay

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is in the DT and it is not the only fish in the DT you will have to either treat the DT with prazi, or have the DT fallow for around 35-40 days to get rid of the flukes and quarantine all the fish.

OP
OP
T

toomanymatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
T

toomanymatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that I can catch the little guy without completely dismantling the tank. The pistol shrimp has made so many caves and tunnels its impossible. I took about 25% of the rock structures but there are too many places to hide. I wasn't home today, but didn't observe the same behavior. I'll be home all day tomorrow so I can keep a close eye. If he is still doing it, is there a reef safe "catch all" med I can try dosing the tank with?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any pics or video under white lighting?
If flukes, you will see scratching, sudden darting, yawning type effect, possible cloudy eyes and heavy breathing, even loss of appetite
A 5 minute freshwater dip will offer temporary relief. Same temperature as display tank in a clean container

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that I can catch the little guy without completely dismantling the tank. The pistol shrimp has made so many caves and tunnels its impossible. I took about 25% of the rock structures but there are too many places to hide. I wasn't home today, but didn't observe the same behavior. I'll be home all day tomorrow so I can keep a close eye. If he is still doing it, is there a reef safe "catch all" med I can try dosing the tank with?

Prazipro is reef safe within reason. It adds some nutrients and temporarily lowers the oxygen level. You do need to know the actual volume of water in your tank (not just its rated capacity). You run the skimmer (but don't collect skimmate) and also add an air stone to the main part of the tank. You dose the prazipro, then 8 days later, do a 25% water change and redose. It's a good idea to do another 25% water change 3 days after the second dose.

Jay

OP
OP
T

toomanymatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics or video under white lighting?
If flukes, you will see scratching, sudden darting, yawning type effect, possible cloudy eyes and heavy breathing, even loss of appetite
A 5 minute freshwater dip will offer temporary relief. Same temperature as display tank in a clean container
I didn't observe the behavior today, but I'll try again tomorrow.

OP
OP
T

toomanymatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any flashing, but fins still look rough. Thoughts? Eating well....

Attachments

• 20220811_180706.jpg
    20220811_180706.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 25

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any flashing, but fins still look rough. Thoughts? Eating well....

\The fins will take some time to regrow (days to weeks). If it isn't flashing and is eating well, that is about as much as can be expected at this point.

Jay

Back