Flukes

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Can I take longer than 72 hours to drop it. I can‘t make that much RO water in 72 hours.

You don't need to use RO water. Dechlorinated tap water, of the right temperature, is just fine.
There reason for not taking longer is that allows the disease issue to continue....

Jay

OP
OP
J

jfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since I dose it in my reef tank, can I double dose with corals also?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I dose it in my reef tank, can I double dose with corals also?

Sorry, I’m not sure what you mean. I would not double up a prazi dose in tanks with coral, it that’s what you mean. Corals usually survive a 2ppm dose, but a 4ppm dose might not be tolerated very well

Jay

OP
OP
J

jfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, I’m not sure what you mean. I would not double up a prazi dose in tanks with coral, it that’s what you mean. Corals usually survive a 2ppm dose, but a 4ppm dose might not be tolerated very well

Jay
Yes, you answered my question.

Another question: I’m running hypo in my FOWLR for the flukes. How long before I start see symptoms go away on my fish? I’ve been running it for 2 days so far at 1.009.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you answered my question.

Another question: I’m running hypo in my FOWLR for the flukes. How long before I start see symptoms go away on my fish? I’ve been running it for 2 days so far at 1.009.
Typically 2 to 3 days. Symptoms should not be getting worse though.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t see if getting worse. Just don’t see any change in behavior. What would be my next option?

Since it isn't getting worse, I'd give it some more time. The caveat here though, is that I'm relying on your diagnosis of it being flukes (and probably Neobenedenia). Can you describe the current symptoms and/or post a video?

Jay

OP
OP
J

jfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only have 3 fish in my FOWLR. Porcupine puffer (no symptoms), checkboard wrasse who occasionally darts and scratches on sandbed (stopped eating), and a blonde naso tang (flesh underneath gill plate is eaten. He randomly swims a little then with randomly go flying across the tank.

My sailfin tang in my reef tank does this when the population climbs and I have to hit it back with prazi powder. I‘m living with it in my reef tank, but I would like to get rid of it completely in the FOWLR tank.

OP
OP
J

jfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
See the white below the gill plate? It’s open flesh.

IMG_0170.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jfingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just to give you some feedback on a side note. I have to dose prazi powder once a month in my reef tank. Corals get irritated for a short time and then return to normal.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See the white below the gill plate? It’s open flesh.

IMG_0170.jpeg
I can’t really see much in the photo, but an open lesion isn’t really a symptom of flukes, more so a bacterial infection of some sort.
Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back