Fluval 13.5 Cannot Keep the pH up!

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem: Almost every single day I check my pH, and it is low at roughly 7.0-7.5. So I add SeaChem Reef Buffer to a half a bottle of tank water, mix and pour into tank. I check pH again around an hour later, and pH is where I want it at ≈ 8.1. Check pH following day, 7.0-7.5. Add SeaChem, test 1 hour later, pH at 8.1…
I have done this basically every day for the last week. I open my window during the day now, thinking it could be co2.. no change. Can anyone please chime in on this one and explain to me what the heck is going on, but more importantly how to fix it??

(Tank stats below)

My fluval 13.5 is quite new; it’s only about a month old.
Livestock
3 snails (various)
1 emerald crab
1 long tentacle anemone
1 kenya tree
2 banggai cardinals

I use instant ocean salt, RO water from LFS, live rock and live sand. Tank has aquatic life 115 protein skimmer, intank chamber 2 basket with filter media that came with the tank, upgraded return pump to sicce 1.0, and hygger mini wavemaker.

Nitrates ≈ 10
Nitrites ≈ 0
Ammonia ≈ 0

**Thank You R2R Community. <3 you all for taking your time and spending some of it on me and my aquarium!**

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just doesn't work like that unfortunately. Too bad Seachem didn't explain it as well as Randy did here :)

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is very new for the stocking you have. You are going to see swings.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back