Fluval 13.5 EVO as first saltwater tank build

Sebastian8601

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,
I recently picked up a Fluval evo 13.5 from craigslist for 80$ with a heater and stand. I am beginning my first saltwater tank build and would like input and feedback about what i need to be doing to improve on my build.

Hardware:
Tank: Fluval EVO 13.5
Light: Stock light (subject to change later)
Lid: Stock lid, may chane later aswell
Heater: Aqueon Submerseable heater(Got this for free, will probably change later)
Filter: INTANK chamber 1/2 inserts.
Filter Media: Filter floss/ ceramic media/carbon/ ChemiPure Blue

My current stocking plan consists of:
Fish:
2x clownfish (ocellaris most likely)
1x Firefish/fire goby/fire dartfish (I'm not too sure what the most commonly used name is)
CUC:
1x skunk cleaner shrimp
2x Turbo Snail
2x Nassarius Snail
2x Blue legged hermit crab
Corals:
I'm not too sure about corals yet, I probably wont add these for a few months after the fish are settled and I can make sure the tank is stable.

I will add a few photos documenting my progress, please let me know if you see any issues or improvements I can make.

OP
OP
Sebastian8601

Sebastian8601

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current progress is documented below.
After these steps i have been dosing with MicroBactor7 and MicroBactor XLM to cycle the tank with bacteria.

Water testing the tank to confirm water tightness:
IMG_2020.jpg

Dry Scaping the rocks:
IMG_2057.jpg

After Filling with water:
IMG_2069.jpg
IMG_2070.jpg

OP
OP
Sebastian8601

Sebastian8601

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is now fully cycled and i added some livestock, I added:
Fish:
1x Orange dotted (Shrimp?) Goby
CUC:
2x Astraea Snail
2x Nassarius Snail
2x Blue legged hermit crab
Corals:
1x GSP

Equipment wise i added :
OW-10 Jaebo power head

They all seem to be doing well except the GSP still hasent opened up. Also there is a small growth on it and i think it may be an Aptasia. Does it look like one? Thanks.

Updated Shots:

IMG_2208.jpg
IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg
IMG_2210.jpg

OP
OP
Sebastian8601

Sebastian8601

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

that does look like aiptasia. I’m battling them right now as well in my Evo
Thanks!
I've heard that peppermint shrimp will take care of them and I'm planning on getting one next time I'm at the LFS. Hopefully that takes care of it.
I got a few other Hitchhikers from the GSP including a feather duster of some sort.

OP
OP
Sebastian8601

Sebastian8601

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check with the LFS before buying one. Not all peppermints eat aiptasia, only some. Hopefully your LFS will know if the ones they have are confirmed to eat it
Thanks for the info, I'll make sure that they do before purchasing one, if not maybe i'll order one online if i cant get the issue under control

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only see the one Aiptasia in that pic, would be easy enough to remove and be done with :D Then instead of a peppermint you could get a goby shrimp to pair with your orange spotted goby someday ;)

OP
OP
Sebastian8601

Sebastian8601

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only see the one Aiptasia in that pic, would be easy enough to remove and be done with :D Then instead of a peppermint you could get a goby shrimp to pair with your orange spotted goby someday ;)
could you give me some tips on removal, I've tried it with tweesers but it seems too small to grab well, is there a better way to grab it?

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could you give me some tips on removal, I've tried it with tweesers but it seems too small to grab well, is there a better way to grab it?
I do not recommend tearing up an aptasia as every piece that settles on a rock turns into a new one. You have several methods that work for this:

Biologically: Berghia nudi’s or peppermint shrimp both have a natural diet for these,

Chemical: Using a syringe with aptasia-x or other chosen chemical and inject into the aptasia mouth and the bottle should have more in depth instructions.

physical: (also the cheapest but really only works in a nano) Your physical removal of an aptasia really is just covering up the aptasia since its near impossible to take them all off just cover them with gel superglue which you can apply in your display if you have the gel kind.

currently I am on the end of my aptasia I never let them get out of control as the most in my tank at a time was like 3.Hope this provided some new knowledge. :) Best of luck and I will be following up on your build!

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the blue gel super glue they have at most hardware stores, I believe you can also inject them with lemon juice? Other than that can scrape it off cleanly but the location of the one in the picture isn't great for scraping off.

OP
OP
Sebastian8601

Sebastian8601

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not recommend tearing up an aptasia as every piece that settles on a rock turns into a new one. You have several methods that work for this:

Biologically: Berghia nudi’s or peppermint shrimp both have a natural diet for these,

Chemical: Using a syringe with aptasia-x or other chosen chemical and inject into the aptasia mouth and the bottle should have more in depth instructions.

physical: (also the cheapest but really only works in a nano) Your physical removal of an aptasia really is just covering up the aptasia since its near impossible to take them all off just cover them with gel superglue which you can apply in your display if you have the gel kind.

currently I am on the end of my aptasia I never let them get out of control as the most in my tank at a time was like 3.Hope this provided some new knowledge. :) Best of luck and I will be following up on your build!
I use the blue gel super glue they have at most hardware stores, I believe you can also inject them with lemon juice? Other than that can scrape it off cleanly but the location of the one in the picture isn't great for scraping off.

Thanks so much for both of these replys, I'll try this superglue method and make sure that any others that pop up will be taken care of quickly.

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for both of these replys, I'll try this superglue method and make sure that any others that pop up will be taken care of quickly.
I feel the obligation to help out the fellow fluval 13.5 members ;) Theres not a whole lot of us active on here haha

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the obligation to help out the fellow fluval 13.5 members ;) Theres not a whole lot of us active on here haha
I’m here! I’m here!
We should start a rEVOlution! LOL!

OP
OP
Sebastian8601

Sebastian8601

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 2 clown fish: I
am not too sure the morph if anyone is able to help me out, I paid $70 for both and i am having a great time watching them swim around.
Also I am having an issue with this algae forming, i assume it is diatoms and am planning on buying 2 trochus snails. if i could get some confirmation that would be great.
IMG_2277.PNG
IMG_2278.jpg
IMG_2280.jpg

Back