Fluval 13.5 Evo Stock Light and Mantis Shrimp

EmteeJihad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im pretty sure I got a purple spot mantis into my shop so I just set up a fluval 13.5 Evo for him and am letting it cycle before I bring him home.

I’ve always been a predator tank keeper so doing a species tank for a mantis is new to me.

I have the stock light for the 13.5 but I’m hearing a lot about shell rot with these guys.

With this being the stock light, I don’t have the flexibility to chose intensity etc. it’s just blue, white, and off.

I don’t want my dude getting shell rot, so if I need to change the light, I’d rather do it before he comes home.

I am looking at doing the NICREW single channel timer pro just for the automatic sunrise sunset but I still am wondering if the lighting is gonna be too bright…

Does anyone have any experience with this light and mantis?

My only setback is that I have a Bengal and she’s very curious about everything and the stock light fits perfectly in the top so there’s really not much room for her to try to get into the tank.

Please give me all the advice! I would like to do this right the first time

0AAB314A-8091-48EF-9A42-8BBFFD8AAD07.jpeg

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s the lighting have to do w a mantis? Curious. I have read that iodine or iodide helps w molts but something hard to test for on the hobby lvl.

OP
OP
E

EmteeJihad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the lighting have to do w a mantis? Curious. I have read that iodine or iodide helps w molts but something hard to test for on the hobby lvl.
I was doing some reading and a few things and a few places said too high of a light can contribute to shell rot.

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a late response.

I’m running the same setup. Stock 13.5 with a small mantis. I just ramp up the lights and make sure he has lots of places to dig and hide.

Weekly 50% water changes.

Back