Fluval 13.5

Ren1119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my 13.5 up for 8 weeks. After a couple water changes the reservoir where the pump, filter, and skimmer is stopped filling up. I'm using all fluval products suggested by the manufacturer. It's only keeping water a couple inches above the pump. When I turn the pump off the reservoirs fill back up. Not sure what to do. I've messed with everything, adding more water, less water, adding water straight into the reservoirs. Nothing worked. The small hole in the plastic. Not sure what its for but anyway my Orchid Dottyback was half way in the hole dead. My Maroon clowfish is also dead. Not sure how or why. All the snails and crabs are still thriving. I'm just concerned for future fish I buy guess. Not sure what to do at this point. Do I contact the manufacturer about these Issues? I'm at a loss. This is my first saltwater. Kept fresh water for years.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let me help. So with the skimmer in chamber one. Sometimes this can slow flow into the chamber. Sometimes with the return going I will lift the skimmer up and let the pump have some extra water. Second usually the main issue is water being blocked into chamber 3 from chamber 2. Ie. I do my own filtration so if I add too much floss or the carbon bag blocks the baffle it will do this exact thing.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I’m saying is. If chamber 3 the pump chamber is low. It’s because either a. Low tank level. B blockage in water going to the 3rd chamber. So try this. Take out the filtration and see what happens. Take out the skimmer and see what happens trouble shoot from there

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I’m saying is. If chamber 3 the pump chamber is low. It’s because either a. Low tank level. B blockage in water going to the 3rd chamber. So try this. Take out the filtration and see what happens. Take out the skimmer and see what happens trouble shoot from there
this is a good approach. Remove the skimmer. Ditch the foam block if you have that in Chamber 2

OP
OP
Ren1119

Ren1119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. I ended up taking the filtration out for now. Going to my supply store tomorrow for other options. I know my thread was kind of all over the place. I was just distraught with losing two fish in one swoop. The small hole my dottyback got caught in was the sponge from the filter.

OP
OP
Ren1119

Ren1119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the hole in the wall of chamber 2 into the display open or blocked?

is the hole in the wall of chamber 2 into the display open or blocked?
The small hole was where the filter was. I took the filter out but all I have now are some snails and crabs so no one will get caught in the hole. Going to my supply store tomorrow to figure out another filtration

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. I ended up taking the filtration out for now. Going to my supply store tomorrow for other options. I know my thread was kind of all over the place. I was just distraught with losing two fish in one swoop. The small hole my dottyback got caught in was the sponge from the filter.
Sorry to hear about you losing your fish. My girlfriend and I both have the evos and we run the Intake media basket. They come with a plug that fills in the hole half way down chamber 2. The baskets they make are very well done also. I used to run the skimmer but it heated up my water too much so I took it out. Now I have intank basket(chamber1) filter floss, chemipure blue/purigen and marine pure balls/small rocks from our other tank. Chamber 2 I have some more biological media and plan to make a small refugium. Chamber 3 has my heater and return pump.

OP
OP
Ren1119

Ren1119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about you losing your fish. My girlfriend and I both have the evos and we run the Intake media basket. They come with a plug that fills in the hole half way down chamber 2. The baskets they make are very well done also. I used to run the skimmer but it heated up my water too much so I took it out. Now I have intank basket(chamber1) filter floss, chemipure blue/purigen and marine pure balls/small rocks from our other tank. Chamber 2 I have some more biological media and plan to make a small refugium. Chamber 3 has my heater and return pump.
Thank you so much! I'll take all the knowledge I can get at this point! I just makes me upset I lost fish so early on. Im used to my huge Oscar's. He jumped out of the tank in the middle of the night was out if water for hours before I found him and he was completely normal, like nothing happened. I'll definitely look into to new fish after I get everything sorted out.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That hole in the bottom I just filled it in with coral putty

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back