Fluval EVO 13.5 Filtration Upgrade

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plug the bottom intake hole, upgrade return pump to Sicce 1, add Marine Pure balls, and micron pad. Done.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if you can 3D print. I have printed this 1st chamber and been using it in my tank for the past 5months. I just run filter floss in the top and carbon on the 2nd level. My water is usually crystal clear except when my pistol shrimp wants to make a mess digging.

Johnb65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I've had my Fluval EVO 13.5 saltwater aquarium set up for 5 months but the water has never been crystal clear. There are always tons of little particles floating around, clouding the water. I've been researching a bit and can't seem to find the cause of it apart from my filtration setup. Currently, Chamber 1 has my 50 watt Eheim Jager heater, chamber 2 has the sponge filter with ativated carbon and bio media, and the third chamber has the stock pump. I've been wanting to upgrade my filtration anyways and hopefully if I do, it'll clear up the water! I've been researching about filtration upgrades others have made on the Fluval EVO 13.5 and it seems that almost everyone upgraded to the InTank media baskets. Now my question is, is it worth it to get both InTank media baskets for chamber 1 and 2? And what should I put in them? I've read that most people use filter floss and biomedia. I also saw someone else who put chaeto into the InTank media basket for chamber 2 and made a little refugium. Would a refugium of this size be worth it for filtration? I am very intrigued by the natural filtration methods like the refugium. What would you do to upgrade the filtration setup? Thank you in advance!
Would love to see an updated pic of your filter/baskets/fuge if you’ve got it set up :) ?

freshfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Get InTank Chamber1 caddy. Throw that stock sponge in the trash right now!
2. In the top of that, place a square of bonded Filter Floss. (Change 2 or 3 times per week)
3. In the next compartment down place Boyd's Chemi Pure (Blue or Elite) 6.5 ounce bag.
4. In bottom of chamber 1 put nothing or Poly fill wad (teddy bear stuffing). (works amazing)(HobbyLobby)
5. Put heater in chamber 3.
6. Plug hole in wall. Plug comes with InTank ch1 caddy. Floss and ChemiPure get from InTank too.
7. Get a Sicce 0.5 silent pump and adjust outlets to create surface agitation.

Get back to me for more awesome Fluval mods once you get this done
Could i put a protein skimmer in chamber 2?

fishtown-tom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends, related question.

I have an Evo 13.5 with skimmer in Chamber 1 and considering UV Shield Desktop for Chamber 2 but that would probably mean I can't have filter floss in Chamber 1 or 2 or anywhere. My goal is to manage/prevent algae and parasites and I do weekly water changes.

Is adding UV but losing filter floss a reasonable tradeoff?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't know much but I would probably prefer to lose the skimmer than the floss.

If you want to keep the skimmer, can you get a UV that doesn't need to go in the chamber?

SkinngGinnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Get InTank Chamber1 caddy. Throw that stock sponge in the trash right now!
2. In the top of that, place a square of bonded Filter Floss. (Change 2 or 3 times per week)
3. In the next compartment down place Boyd's Chemi Pure (Blue or Elite) 6.5 ounce bag.
4. In bottom of chamber 1 put nothing or Poly fill wad (teddy bear stuffing). (works amazing)(HobbyLobby)
5. Put heater in chamber 3.
6. Plug hole in wall. Plug comes with InTank ch1 caddy. Floss and ChemiPure get from InTank too.
7. Get a Sicce 0.5 silent pump and adjust outlets to create surface agitation.

Get back to me for more awesome Fluval mods once you get this done.

Walmart has a huge box of the bear stuffing for next to nothing

SkinngGinnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends, related question.

I have an Evo 13.5 with skimmer in Chamber 1 and considering UV Shield Desktop for Chamber 2 but that would probably mean I can't have filter floss in Chamber 1 or 2 or anywhere. My goal is to manage/prevent algae and parasites and I do weekly water changes.

Is adding UV but losing filter floss a reasonable tradeoff?

Do you have a cleanup crew? https://addictivereefkeeping.com/pr...k-astraea-nerite-cerith-blue-leg-hermit-crab/

Highly effective

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea on that tank but I have a similar size tank, I had a similar issue, I ended up wrapping the uv in a filter sock, a sock is far better than floss anyway imo

sophiang25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get my afforementioned suggestions done first. I promise you, that is the best jump forward you can make.
The refugium and all that is way down the line. I always believed in bio-media but have recently abandoned it in lieu of my chunky live rock in my display. Thats a discussion worth it's own post.

That being said, if you have enough live rock in your display, you really don't need any media in your sump.
I would leave chamber 2 empty until you get chamber one tuned up. Give yourself time to think about it.

As long as nothing crazy is happening that you are not telling us about, the previous recommendations will absolutely get you crystal clear water.

What you need: Flow, Floss, ChemiPure, InTank basket.
Hi! I‘m just finished cycling my tank and have added fish. It’s the 13.5 Gallon Fluval Evo and I’ve also been using the Original filter sponge and media that came with the tank. I’m going to get the In Tank Caddy instead. Am I safe to replace the filter now that the tank is cycled or do I keep some components so that I don’t have to recycle? Thank you!!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can rinse the sponge in old tank water when you do a water change, sponge collects a lot of detritus, better without them or they need cleaning every few days.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back