Fluval Evo 13.5 help

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this tank I have 2 Ocelaris Clownfish a kenya tree, some zoanthids and a hammer coral and another coral I do not know the name of, one cleaner shrimp, and a ton of snails and 2 hermit crabs. Any suggestions on changing the filtration? And what other fish can I put in here. Thanks.

16149143434922171292320407738800.jpg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t say what the filtration is you have at present?

I would sort that out first before adding another fish, a Royal gramma, firefish, yellow watchman goby are some to look into.

OP
OP
G

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t say what the filtration is you have at present?

I would sort that out first before adding another fish, a Royal gramma, firefish, yellow watchman goby are some to look into.
It is just the standard foam filter, I was looking into a possible replacement but wouldn't know where to start

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just the standard foam filter, I was looking into a possible replacement but wouldn't know where to start

I have a 14g, I would remove the foam, as it will collect detritus unless cleaned very often.

In my 14g, I just use filter floss, changed every couple of days, some Siporax as added bacteria to live on, some carbon, purigen and rowaphos when I need it, water changes are the main filtration method in a nano, if you change the floss regularly you will be removing a lot of the waste, good flow will keep the food etc in the water column and into the floss, you then remove it before it breaks down, with water changes you don’t need much else.

Reef_Colors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the middle chamber filtration, that thing will clog up quick. Intankaquatics.com has media baskets for the evo 13.5, i had the first chamber one and in the middle i ran gfo because i had a phosphate problem

OP
OP
G

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I continue to run a protein skimmer or replace that as well?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I continue to run a protein skimmer or replace that as well?

if you do not need the space for other things, if it’s seems to be pulling out stuff then yes carry on using it but it’s not needed, good to have as it helps with getting oxygen into the water but you will be fine without it, so keep if you like it or remove if it’s a pain to keep altering it and cleaning etc.

OP
OP
G

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you do not need the space for other things, if it’s seems to be pulling out stuff then yes carry on using it but it’s not needed, good to have as it helps with getting oxygen into the water but you will be fine without it, so keep if you like it or remove if it’s a pain to keep altering it and cleaning etc.
Thanks I was curious because I saw the extra basket needed both slots and I have a protein skimmer in one

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I was curious because I saw the extra basket needed both slots and I have a protein skimmer in one

changing out floss regularly will remove far more than a skimmer in a nano, they don’t tend to be that good, so it’s a nice extra but I would go for the basket etc first and if you still need something to fill the gap then think of the skimmer.

OP
OP
G

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
changing out floss regularly will remove far more than a skimmer in a nano, they don’t tend to be that good, so it’s a nice extra but I would go for the basket etc first and if you still need something to fill the gap then think of the skimmer.
Cool thanks for the tip. Also, if I get chaeto I'd need another light specifically for that right

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks for the tip. Also, if I get chaeto I'd need another light specifically for that right

yes, they do ones that can go in the water with it, but treat the chaeto like skimmer, only if you are stuck for something to fill a gap.

Think of it this way, what we are trying to do with most of these big expensive equipment and methods is to keep clean water, with a 200g tank, changing water is a pain to do and expensive, so they came up with skimmers and chaeto etc to help reduce the amount of water changes, with a nano we can get the very best water quality with a simple water change, easy to do and cheap.

OP
OP
G

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, they do ones that can go in the water with it, but treat the chaeto as the skimmer, only if you are stuck for something to fill a gap.

Think of it this way, what we are trying to do with most of these big expensive equipment and methods is to keep clean water, with a 200g tank, changing water is a pain to do and expensive, so they came up with skimmers and chaeto etc to help reduce the amount of water changes, with a nano with can get the very best water quality with a simple water change, easy to do and cheap.
Thanks a ton for the help.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Evo is a great little tank, but the "sump" has limited space, and there are tradeoffs.
I have a UV sterilizer, media basket, and heater in the back. It hasn't left me room for the Fluval protein skimmer, which I also have.

My recommendations: get InTank's Media Basket 1 and load it with floss and chemipure (or carbon). If you want to grow chaeto, you can peel off the backing and mount a fluval magnetic fuge light where basket 1 or 2 is. I wouldn't recommend this, personally.
Forget about basket 2.

-get the plug for the back wall to improve flow into the "sump".

-replace the pump with a Sicce 1.0

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Evo is a great little tank, but the "sump" has limited space, and there are tradeoffs.
I have a UV sterilizer, media basket, and heater in the back. It hasn't left me room for the Fluval protein skimmer, which I also have.

My recommendations: get InTank's Media Basket 1 and load it with floss and chemipure (or carbon). If you want to grow chaeto, you can peel off the backing and mount a fluval magnetic fuge light where basket 1 or 2 is. I wouldn't recommend this, personally.
Forget about basket 2.

-get the plug for the back wall to improve flow into the "sump".

-replace the pump with a Sicce 1.0
+1
I did this as well put phosballs in the bottom of the first chamber media basket, chemipure above that, and floss on the top. Heater was in middle compartment and the pump I used was an Eheim compactON 1000. Also got a small Green killing machine from petsmart that would clear the tank up if needed, took care of my Dinos when I went through that. Best of luck!

Back