Fluval Evo 13.5 New Setup

adaniel1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the site and to saltwater and just wanted some opinions on a protein skimmer for the fluval evo 13.5 aquarium. I see some people who use a protein skimmer and some don't. Any sort of feedback or info is much appreciated.

I just set the tank up so it still has to cycle

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! I have several tanks and use protein skimmers in most of them, but in my small 10g tank I do regular water changes and have found that I don't need a skimmer. Good luck with your tank whatever you decide!

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome!! I also have an Evo. I don’t use a skimmer right now since I’m trying out growing a mangrove, but if you go for a skimmer, I would suggest one like this. It has a much lower profile and takes up way less space than the Fluval PS1 skimmer. I would not waste your time or money on the Fluval skimmer. It’s hard to dial in and mine leaked from day 1 so I had to DIY a seal.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, not that you asked this question, but I highly recommend the InTank media baskets for this tank. You can wait a while to upgrade but I found a huge improvement in filtration with these. The sponge that comes with the tank works well while your bioload is light though so if you’re not planning to stock too heavily, you can probably get away with it.

inTank Chamber Two Media Basket for Fluval Evo 13.5 and Fluval Spec 16

moosefingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got that tank and the Fluval PS2 skimmer for it and if you value your sanity I’d say avoid it... it’s so noisy. That said, it is my first saltwater tank and therefore skimmer, so not sure if the noise is standard.

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I second the intank media basket. Put filter floss in the top chamber and just rinse or change it every few days. That will achieve the same or better level of nutrient export that the nano skimmers will with less headache and noise. Plus it maintains the aesthetics of the tank and is much cheaper and more reliable.

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, not that you asked this question, but I highly recommend the InTank media baskets for this tank. You can wait a while to upgrade but I found a huge improvement in filtration with these. The sponge that comes with the tank works well while your bioload is light though so if you’re not planning to stock too heavily, you can probably get away with it.

inTank Chamber Two Media Basket for Fluval Evo 13.5 and Fluval Spec 16

I would recommend getting chamber 1 and not 2. Chamber two runs dry at the top and chamber 1 has more storage.

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic. I have both chamber one and two.

19C0B28C-B269-4C33-896A-B7F034E44D8D.jpeg

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer needed on these tanks IMO, I posted a diy media basket for chamber 1 in my build thread if you’re interested in making one. Just keep up on your water changes and don’t overfeed it’ll be all good.

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank! I purchased the fluval PS2 and just set it up today, actually. It’s not terribly loud, which I read somewhere as a “con” to this skimmer. It fit perfectly in the tank, and from what I’ve read... it’ll start pulling skim in about five days.

But to answer your question, I guess it depends on the person and the bio load. In my first nano, I just did water changes and it was beautiful. (I ended up breaking it down when I had to move). My second time around with a nano, and I put a skimmer on.

Keep us updated on what you decide!

dherman15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
I started this tank back in Nov. LOVE IT! Have CUC and two clowns, for now.
No need skimmer. I run inTank baskets in Chamber 1 and 2.
As others mentioned Chamber 1 basket is probably all that is needed.
Keep us updated on your decision

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the site and to saltwater and just wanted some opinions on a protein skimmer for the fluval evo 13.5 aquarium. I see some people who use a protein skimmer and some don't. Any sort of feedback or info is much appreciated.

I just set the tank up so it still has to cycle
I bought my setup used and it came with the Fluval protein skimmer so I run it. It's not amazing but its not horrible. It does pull out gunk day after day and aerates the water well. It took about a month to "break in" and start working well. The water level dial is finicky. Move it a tad to much and the cup will fill with straight water. Find a sweet spot and it does work good. Mine is not very noisy as others have stated. I think with this tank, it is a personal preference if you want to run it or not. I think you'll be ok either way. I would rather have the intank basket in chamber 1 vs. 2 as I have it now though. If your intank basket is in chamber 1 it will do a better job because you can run filter floss in the overflow...

Back