Fluval Evo 13.5 Rock Flower Anemone Tank

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 3x3x2 cube years ago. A move forced us to sell. Been having an itch to get something small (and portable) since we plan to buy a house in the next couple years.

Ended up with this little Fluval 13.5 aio. I liked the look and it fit in the spot I wanted it to go. It's been cycling for a week as the upgrades have come in.

Upgrades:
Sicce Syncra .5
Hygger Mini Wavemaker
InTank chamber 1 and 2 media baskets (floss in chamber 1 and maybe chaeto, ChemiPure elite and Marine Pure gems in chamber 2)
Fluval Sea nano light (0% red, 20% blue, cyan, violet, 15% white 9am to 9pm with one hour ramp up and down. Will increase when I add nems)
Kraken Reef cover
Tunze 3152 ATO

15 lbs dry rock (I think I finally got the scape how I want)
15lbs of live sand

Planning on a purple firefish and maybe one other small fish
5 sexy shrimp
Many RFA
Maybe some zoas
Small clean up crew

20210722_134459 by Lisa Clark, on Flickr

20210722_134517 by Lisa Clark, on Flickr

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Liking it!!!!

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planned on getting a skimmer for chamber 1 since I'll have nems to be fed. But after reading some other build threads it doesn't seem necessary with regular weekly water changes. Decided instead to get the InTank chamber 1 basket and add filter floss, maybe a little fuge down the road.

Question, has anyone found a heater that fits in chamber 3 with the Sicce .5 pump?

reefer_evo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planned on getting a skimmer for chamber 1 since I'll have nems to be fed. But after reading some other build threads it doesn't seem necessary with regular weekly water changes. Decided instead to get the InTank chamber 1 basket and add filter floss, maybe a little fuge down the road.

Question, has anyone found a heater that fits in chamber 3 with the Sicce .5 pump?
Hello I have this same tank and upgraded pump in my tank. The heater i use is a aqueon 50w heater from petco it fits perfectly and was only like $20 fits right over the pump and is still fully submerged. BTW your tank looks great

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have this same tank and upgraded pump in my tank. The heater i use is a aqueon 50w heater from petco it fits perfectly and was only like $20 fits right over the pump and is still fully submerged. BTW your tank looks great
Perfect, thanks! Without the lid the tank is getting down to 75 at night so probably need to pick one up pretty soon

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kraken reef cover came in! Man this thing is clean looking.

Also got and set up the tunze ato. Can't wait to get the cabinet bookshelf thing I ordered to put the ato water container and clean up the electrical stuff.

20210728_121203.jpg 20210728_122725.jpg

Last edited:

reefer_evo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kraken reef cover came in! Man this thing is clean looking.

Also got and set up the tunze ato. Can't wait to get the cabinet bookshelf thing I ordered to put the ato water container and clean up the electrical stuff.

20210728_121203.jpg 20210728_122725.jpg
What stand did you order I have been looking for one that matches the tank. Where did you order you ato from that gonna be my next upgrade for the tank.

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What stand did you order I have been looking for one that matches the tank. Where did you order you ato from that gonna be my next upgrade for the tank.
The tank will be staying on the counter. But I got a bookshelf with a cabinet to put the ato jugs and clean up all the electrical bits. Ordered the ato and shelf from Amazon.

Got the little heater today. Fits perfectly into the return chamber with the pump and ato sensor. Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210729-135322_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210729-135322_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 31

reefer_evo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be staying on the counter. But I got a bookshelf with a cabinet to put the ato jugs and clean up all the electrical bits. Ordered the ato and shelf from Amazon.

Got the little heater today. Fits perfectly into the return chamber with the pump and ato sensor. Thanks again!
Ill look into the ATO on amazon thanks!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same light from a former build. I contemplated installing it on the Fluval 13.5 because we all know that their stock light just sucks. How are you liking the Fluval Nano light? I was thinking of mounting it on the side because the mounting bracket won't reach the center of the tank from the sump. Love the kid but wow - that runs almost as much as I paid for the tank. LOL Looks awesome though. Similar to Octolids.

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same light from a former build. I contemplated installing it on the Fluval 13.5 because we all know that their stock light just sucks. How are you liking the Fluval Nano light? I was thinking of mounting it on the side because the mounting bracket won't reach the center of the tank from the sump. Love the kid but wow - that runs almost as much as I paid for the tank. LOL Looks awesome though. Similar to Octolids.
The light is nice, I wish the arm extended just another inch or so to center more but the spread looks pretty good. So I'm gonna try it as is for now. I really wanted something I could control (timer, light percentages, ramp up and down) and this one checked all the boxes without paying over 200 for an ai.

The lid was a little pricey but looks so nice. And no gaps! Prefer not to have any fishy jerky since I want a purple firefish for sure and they are jumpers.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is nice, I wish the arm extended just another inch or so to center more but the spread looks pretty good. So I'm gonna try it as is for now. I really wanted something I could control (timer, light percentages, ramp up and down) and this one checked all the boxes without paying over 200 for an ai.

The lid was a little pricey but looks so nice. And no gaps! Prefer not to have any fishy jerky since I want a purple firefish for sure and they are jumpers.
I totally understand. I had several firefish in my 90. I would never have believed that they could have jumped out of the tank and over the hood but they disappeared. Funny, my dog really seems to love when we have sushi now. I wonder if there is a connection.
I'm on the fence at the moment of do I just return the Fluval Evo or spend more money to upgrade it. The IM Fusion Peninsula 14 is on sale at IM for $233.74 and two other small retailers for $199 plus $25 or $30 to ship. That comes with a might max adjustable dc pump, a filter sock, media basket and a lid. So, if I consider the light from Fluval a throw away... I have no media basket, no sock, no lid, a pump that needs upgrading and the little rubber feet that come off... isn't the IM going to be less in the big picture? Waterbox has a mini 15 for $199. That is also a nice tank but no lid, so that adds up fast.
no country for old men GIF
Maybe I should flip a coin....

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regretting the finer sand I chose for the tank. The little hygger powerhead is creating sand tornados even though I turned the I tensity down.

Maybe a sand dwelling coral that would not mind some crazy flow randomly for that spot. How do elegance coral or some of the brain corals feel about highish flow?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regretting the finer sand I chose for the tank. The little hygger powerhead is creating sand tornados even though I turned the I tensity down.

Maybe a sand dwelling coral that would not mind some crazy flow randomly for that spot. How do elegance coral or some of the brain corals feel about highish flow?
What about green star polyps? That will grow on sand and it's pretty indestructible.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like gsp, but don't want it to take over the tank lol
It could be cool .... it would look like grass. LOL You would just need to weed wack it occasionally to keep it off of the aquascape. Dang - now I want to try it. LOL

OP
OP
L

lclark209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be cool .... it would look like grass. LOL You would just need to weed wack it occasionally to keep it off of the aquascape. Dang - now I want to try it. LOL
I don't think the rfa's would appreciate it much lol

I've always wanted to try a gsp back wall on a tank.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the rfa's would appreciate it much lol

I've always wanted to try a gsp back wall on a tank.
Ooohhh... Can you imagine a floor covered in GSP and RFA? It would be like a psycodelic field of poppies. That would be a trip.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back