Fluval EVO 13.5 Stock

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I setup my Fluval EVO yesterday with some live sand, 4 rocks (1 live rock) and then added same api quick start. Am I good to go ahead and add two clownfish as well as some crabs/snails?

I was also curious as to what’s a good stock look like for this tank that all works well together?

thanks!

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any ammonia? And where did you get your advice to cycle the tank?

No you should not add any fish yet.
I was basically told to just get some live sand and a live rock and then add some quick start and I’d be good to go to at least add a fish or two before I start adding others. I know there’s a cycle it goes through but the quick start said it’s good to add fish right away. Where can I buy ammonia and how much do I add

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There gonna have to be some testing done prior to just adding life. Now biggest question on my mind. Is it real live rock that’s been in someone’s established tank or cultured in the ocean or did the LFS sell you life rock?

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any ammonia? And where did you get your advice to cycle the tank?

No you should not add any fish yet.
I just used my API test kit and my parameters read as followed:

PH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

Do I need to add more of the api quick start to get ammonia in the tank so it can cycle? Obviously these are the number you want but my tank is less than 24 hours old

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There gonna have to be some testing done prior to just adding life. Now biggest question on my mind. Is it real live rock that’s been in someone’s established tank or cultured in the ocean or did the LFS sell you life rock?
LFS

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used my API test kit and my parameters read as followed:

PH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

Do I need to add more of the api quick start to get ammonia in the tank so it can cycle? Obviously these are the number you want but my tank is less than 24 hours old
Did you add any ammonia to get the cycle started? If not, just add a pinch of flake food, then follow the rise and fall of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, when ammonia and nitrite show zero, then its safe to add a pair of clowns, then wait a couple of weeks to add anything else.

Its important to be patient in this hobby, rushing leads to disease and tank crashes.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any ammonia to get the cycle started? If not, just add a pinch of flake food, then follow the rise and fall of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, when ammonia and nitrite show zero, then its safe to add a pair of clowns, then wait a couple of weeks to add anything else.

Its important to be patient in this hobby, rushing leads to disease and tank crashes.
Since the api quick start didn’t seem to do anything. I just purchased Dr tims ammonia and the one and only live bacteria. Suppose to arrive on Thursday and I’ll follow those steps to get it started. For now I’ll just leave the tank be

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say that since it’s true live rock, depending on the size of it and the fact that you have zero ammonia at the time leads me to believe that your tank is processing it or capable of it. Only doubt I have would be the 0 nitrate BUT that could be due to the water being pristine (new).

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say that since it’s true live rock, depending on the size of it and the fact that you have zero ammonia at the time leads me to believe that your tank is processing it or capable of it. Only doubt I have would be the 0 nitrate BUT that could be due to the water being pristine (new).
Yeah I got my saltwater from the LFS until I get a chance to get a RODI machine to make my own saltwater

0__0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, all 0 is not a good sign to run a tank at your setting. I would recommend adding some waste stuff (food or whatever that can be a nice nutrient source for your bacteria) to set up a nice system. When you get 0 ammonia and nitrite with a low reading of nitrate, it will then be a good time to add fish. Remember, patience is the key. Do not add too many livestocks that might be overload for your unstable initial system. If you cannot get livestock when you get nice readings, don't starve your bacteria! Keeping giving them some food source to maintain your system until you get your livestock.

Back