Fluval evo 13.5, what light setting do I use? (super beginner)

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am setting up my first reef tank a fluval evo 13.5. It is currently cycling and I have a very beginner question.

The stock light it comes with can either be set to white or blue. My question is what setting / light schedule should I use?

When attempting to do research on this I see that the white light is better for fish while the blue light is better for coral, or all I see are upgrades people have put in for this tank but very little to no information on how to use the stock light. Is it supposed to be white light during the day and blue light at night? A few hours of each and then off at night? I have no idea so looking for some help on this

Thank you!

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am setting up my first reef tank a fluval evo 13.5. It is currently cycling and I have a very beginner question.

The stock light it comes with can either be set to white or blue. My question is what setting / light schedule should I use?

When attempting to do research on this I see that the white light is better for fish while the blue light is better for coral, or all I see are upgrades people have put in for this tank but very little to no information on how to use the stock light. Is it supposed to be white light during the day and blue light at night? A few hours of each and then off at night? I have no idea so looking for some help on this

Thank you!
If your using the stock light it’s on the weaker side, but still capable of growing most types of coral.
I use the stock light on a coral and invert quarantine tank and leave it on white to get the maximum par out of it.
If you wanted it blue for an hour in the beginning and end go for it, can be the ramp up/down period

OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your using the stock light it’s on the weaker side, but still capable of growing most types of coral.
I use the stock light on a coral and invert quarantine tank and leave it on white to get the maximum par out of it.
If you wanted it blue for an hour in the beginning and end go for it, can be the ramp up/down period
Ok but it should be kept on the white light setting for the majority of the day?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t run the whites and blues simultaneously? If you can, I would run a 12 hour total photoperiod, let’s say 8am to 8pm, the blues would run from 8am to 8pm and the whites from 11am to 5pm, and then all lights off from 8pm to 8am.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok but it should be kept on the white light setting for the majority of the day?
Yes, white most of the day….for this particular light, because on blue it’s at half power. Only because it’s on the weak side for output, if there are no corals in the tank for a while you can stay with just blue to keep your algae levels down.
It’s true most people upgrade the light but not nessisary, I have Montipora, and stylophora growing just fine under the stock lights in that tank, white all day….
That being said my other two evos have better lights on them and prefer them immensely…but would recommend sticking with the stock light and getting other additions first like an ato, by far the most important price for a nano

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t run the whites and blues simultaneously? If you can, I would run a 12 hour total photoperiod, let’s say 8am to 8pm, the blues would run from 8am to 8pm and the whites from 11am to 5pm, and then all lights off from 8pm to 8am.
Yes the white setting is all whites and blues on

OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the white setting is all whites and blues on
Ah ok, I misunderstood and thought that white was white only. I will probably upgrade in the future just going slowly right now.

What is the purpose of the blue light only then?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals look like they are glowing under blue light. Basically everything but the corals gets washed out and looks blue. I ran whites most often as I liked that look more. You could get the nicrew timer, which allows you to set a dimmer and have blue in the morning and night, and white in the midday.
The white setting runs blue and white at full intensity.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good advice here.
all i would add is to set the photoperiod to match your lifestyle. if you leave the house for the day at 8am maybe delay the start until 11am so you get more time to enjoy the display when you get home. it would drive me nuts to see my lights shut off hours before i went to bed myself lol

nicksEvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wondering about lighting schedules on my Evo:

I'm almost ready to get corals, so I want consistently timed lighting before I buy anything. I plan on turning on my stock light with a 15 minute sunrise at 9 am. Then around 2 pm I have an 11 inch long nicrew light gradually turning on for 30 minutes, just blue. At 6 pm, my stock light turns off over a 15 minute sunset period, at which time my refugium light turns on. Lastly, my nicrew light stays on blue until 10 pm following a final 30 minute sunset period. My refugium light turns off at 9 am the next morning.

Nicrew light (built in timer):

Light timer (Stock light and Refugium):

Let me know what you think, too much light? I haven't had any crazy algae growth and I've been keeping with this schedule for the most part for the last 3 months.

OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wondering about lighting schedules on my Evo:

I'm almost ready to get corals, so I want consistently timed lighting before I buy anything. I plan on turning on my stock light with a 15 minute sunrise at 9 am. Then around 2 pm I have an 11 inch long nicrew light gradually turning on for 30 minutes, just blue. At 6 pm, my stock light turns off over a 15 minute sunset period, at which time my refugium light turns on. Lastly, my nicrew light stays on blue until 10 pm following a final 30 minute sunset period. My refugium light turns off at 9 am the next morning.

Nicrew light (built in timer):

Light timer (Stock light and Refugium):

Let me know what you think, too much light? I haven't had any crazy algae growth and I've been keeping with this schedule for the most part for the last 3 months.

I’m way too much of a beginner to know, id suggest posting a new thread. People on here are extremely helpful

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds about right, maybe hold back on the refugium light till about 9 or 10 till the main lights go off and keep it on till sunrise….might help keep the ph in check a lil better
Some people have luck with the refugium in the evo, I have a buddy that kills it in the back chamber…I can’t for the life of me :p

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My photoperiod relates more to the time i actually see the display more than the sunrise/sunset going on in the real world. Being i leave to work and won't see my display until i get home its dark until about 11am where it gradually picks up until 12:30pm. Its runs full throttle until 6:30pm where the whites scale down and it runs actinic until it dims out at 11pm.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back