OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend was bittersweet - we said goodbye to this little EVO.

Life has been getting hectic, mostly in good ways. We're both spending a little more time in the office, we're in the thick of wedding planning, we're hard at work house hunting, and we have several fairly lengthy extended stays away from home coming up (both for work and fun). I never got bored or tired of the tank, but it was getting harder to keep up with everything and I was really stressing about the time I'll be spending away from the tank as well as potentially having to break it down and then set it back up again in the middle of a major move in a few months. So we made the extremely difficult decision to take a break from reefing and move on from the tank.

That was the bitter part. The sweet part is that a reefer in the local club here in Boston is taking it over. He has several tanks and is super active in the local reefing community. We spent 3+ hours yesterday carefully breaking down the tank together and prepping it to be setup at his home. Keeping it together like this with an experienced reefer is really the only way I would have been comfortable moving on. He'll take good care of it (and hopefully post updates either here or at the Boston Reefer's website).

This reef was a ton of fun and was more fruitful than I ever could have imagined when I was starting it up. It filled in nicely (I found out yesterday that Kraken Reef features it as the first photo on the page for their 13.5 EVO lids), I had fun with the natural seawater (I really do think there's a definite benefit to using it), and I appreciate the joy it brought both of us over the last year and several months.

So here are some start and end pics:
Tank Breakdown 4.jpg

Tank Breakdown 2.jpg

Tank Breakdown 1.jpg

After we moved the tank, I had a (very appropriate) toast to the EVO:
Tank Breakdown 3.jpg

Cheers to everyone who checked in on this thread, "liked" or left kind words, and/or offered suggestions or tips. This was a big part of the fun and hopefully when things settle down in a year or so, it'll be time to start a new build thread. Thank you.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend was bittersweet - we said goodbye to this little EVO.

Life has been getting hectic, mostly in good ways. We're both spending a little more time in the office, we're in the thick of wedding planning, we're hard at work house hunting, and we have several fairly lengthy extended stays away from home coming up (both for work and fun). I never got bored or tired of the tank, but it was getting harder to keep up with everything and I was really stressing about the time I'll be spending away from the tank as well as potentially having to break it down and then set it back up again in the middle of a major move in a few months. So we made the extremely difficult decision to take a break from reefing and move on from the tank.

That was the bitter part. The sweet part is that a reefer in the local club here in Boston is taking it over. He has several tanks and is super active in the local reefing community. We spent 3+ hours yesterday carefully breaking down the tank together and prepping it to be setup at his home. Keeping it together like this with an experienced reefer is really the only way I would have been comfortable moving on. He'll take good care of it (and hopefully post updates either here or at the Boston Reefer's website).

This reef was a ton of fun and was more fruitful than I ever could have imagined when I was starting it up. It filled in nicely (I found out yesterday that Kraken Reef features it as the first photo on the page for their 13.5 EVO lids), I had fun with the natural seawater (I really do think there's a definite benefit to using it), and I appreciate the joy it brought both of us over the last year and several months.

So here are some start and end pics:
Tank Breakdown 4.jpg

Tank Breakdown 2.jpg

Tank Breakdown 1.jpg

After we moved the tank, I had a (very appropriate) toast to the EVO:
Tank Breakdown 3.jpg

Cheers to everyone who checked in on this thread, "liked" or left kind words, and/or offered suggestions or tips. This was a big part of the fun and hopefully when things settle down in a year or so, it'll be time to start a new build thread. Thank you.
WOW. Yours is one of my favorite threads by far. :crying-face: :crying-face: :crying-face: :crying-face: I totally support your decision. I think it is smart to take a pause so you don't loose the joy the hobby brings. Cheers to all the great things that are happening in your life. When you start a new thread, please tag me! I can't wait to follow along with the next reefing chapter.

Patrick Stewart Cheers GIF by Blunt Talk

OP
OP
jfoahs04

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. Yours is one of my favorite threads by far. :crying-face: :crying-face: :crying-face: :crying-face: I totally support your decision. I think it is smart to take a pause so you don't loose the joy the hobby brings. Cheers to all the great things that are happening in your life. When you start a new thread, please tag me! I can't wait to follow along with the next reefing chapter.

Patrick Stewart Cheers GIF by Blunt Talk
Thanks! And ditto - I'll still be following yours. I appreciate it the kind words - still have mixed feelings about it all. We're both still looking over to check on the tank out of habit.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back