Fluval EVO or Cobalt C-Vue?

dzones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide which way to go for a new nano.
I am a little torn between the Fluval Evo 13.5 and the Cobalt C-Vue 18 and was hoping to get some insight from other owners.

I understand the EVO comes with a light already but I have read many people taking the lid and light off and putting something else on it anyway.

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger the better. Yes, I guarantee will you eventually lose the hood/light on the EVO for an AI prime or something better.

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval is great but the light is apparently not very good. I have one that is Currently 4 months old and going through its algea stages. I'm yet to put coral in but I will definitely be upgrading the light before. I will be modifying the lid so I don't loose the clean look of the aquarium when I do the upgrade.

The fluval ps2 skimmer that fits directly into the rear chamber is actually very good and not bad priced, it will take a week or so to get it skimming nicely. On the down side its a noisy little skimmer, i don't mind this too much as its in my kitchen, if it was in my bedroom or living room I think I would have got rid of it by now though.

OP
OP
dzones

dzones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval is great but the light is apparently not very good. I have one that is Currently 4 months old and going through its algea stages. I'm yet to put coral in but I will definitely be upgrading the light before. I will be modifying the lid so I don't loose the clean look of the aquarium when I do the upgrade.

The fluval ps2 skimmer that fits directly into the rear chamber is actually very good and not bad priced, it will take a week or so to get it skimming nicely. On the down side its a noisy little skimmer, i don't mind this too much as its in my kitchen, if it was in my bedroom or living room I think I would have got rid of it by now though.

Thanks! I have a feeling based on both responses I will go another route other than the Evo. I don't want to be that limited when I do a setup. Thinking I might as well go ahead and start off with a nice Cobalt C-Vue or IM and get the AI Prime for it if I am eventually going to get that one anyway. Will save me that change later on

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s smart. Often people (like myself) learn the hard way and start small. You eventually replace all your cheap equipment and spend more money in the process. I think you will have more success with a larger tank. And trust me after a couple months or so you‘ll want an even larger tank. Happy Reefing!

GreatSouth BayReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the evo 13.5 and its incredibly hard to keep stable. Such little water makes changes happen rapidly, and that is a bad thing. My 65 gal on the other hand, has been easy and wonderful to keep up with as its much easier to keep stable! I would recommend going as big as you can now, instead of upgrading in a year like me :p

Nightrider76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 3 months in with my Evo 13.5, I have the stock light, but I did add a small blue LED strip under the hood as the stock light lacks in blue light. Everything is growing great, my hammer has grown a new head as well as my other small mixed frags are all growing. Water is stable and perform 2.5 gallon weekly water changes. If i could do it all over would i get the Evo? No, i would of went bigger. You might want to consider the new Waterbox gallon Peninsula.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back