Fluval Flex 32,5 Gallon - need your advice and experience

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

After 8 years of break I am now back with the hobby - and I am excited :) In this matter I came across this forum and looking forward to both find and share inspiration for this hobby in here in the future :)
This time I am looking into starting up a AiO tank with the Fluval Flex 32,5 g marine, as space and my wife preferences are limited :)

I have been reading around the forum for inputs to this tank and different experiences with mods, but I find a lot of contradicting information and there really need some advice before buying the different equipment with the risk of regretting. (I did this enough last time I had a saltwater tank). So here are my most emerging question right now, which I hope some of you can help me with.

- Is the Fluval SP2 skimmer total crap or is it OK for the price if it is combined with InTank filter baskets?
- How about the Fluval LED 3.0 light? Is it sufficient for LPS and a few more simple SPS? I have an Maxspect 160W from my last tank setup, but that would require me to take of the lid and make a new construction on the top. But if the luval LED 3.0 or maybe two is good, then I will stick with this!
- Any other must do modifications or equipment changes for this tank set-up that will improve it?
- I am thinking of adding 1 or 2 Tunze nanostream 6025powerbeads from my last setup as well as a Tunze 5017 ATO. Any experiences with installing these in the small setup?

I am looking forward to share the progress of the tank and hope some can help me with these important initial questions and thoughts.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why did you post this again?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed that I posted it in the wrong forum - now moved to the AIO forum
Still wondering - what is AIO? but - either way the comments still apply IMHO

OP
OP
N

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All-in-one tanks with intergrated room for skimmer, filters etc. little space but not a separate aquarium required.

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fluval 32.2 is a great aquarium. I‘ve had mine running for about 6-8 months. The Fluval PS1 skimmer is specifically made for this aquarium. It runs great. I’ve had no issues. Other folks have had success with the icecap and eshopps nano skimmers. You can’t go wrong with any of these.

In terms of the 3.0 light. Only one light is needed. It works good for soft and LPS coral only. My biggest issue with his aquarium is the hood which traps the heat. I consistently had high water temperature above 80°+. You have to run a fan especially in the summer. I ultimately ditched the hood/3.0 light for AI primes and couldn’t be happier. The coral growth and color is much better.

F3DBE6A4-FB1F-4B9A-89EA-871F66884CC4.jpeg

CD2069E6-96A4-4566-B3A5-92090DCBC2A5.jpeg

3D99BBDF-F4FD-4E25-ADFE-5C4D0D1F19D7.jpeg

6F50DBF0-DC0F-446A-AC9C-241EC9FB51F8.jpeg

OP
OP
N

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kpoj9 That was really comforting news - I will continue with the stock skimmer then. Glad to hear. And your tank looks really nice!

Great to know that taking of the lid has solved your heat problems. I have the Maxspect Razor 160W LED to put on top when getting ready for SPS, but I guess then I will have to go without the lid as well.
Have just started up today and will go get some fresh osmosis water now.

A few questions: Do you have ATO on your tank and if so, where have you mounted it? Unfortunately, my old Tunze Osmolator doesn't work anymore, so I will have to look for a new one.
I am looking to start up with some old reef ceramics (which has been alive) from my old tank and a few dead LR, but I am in doubt if/hov much liverock I would need from the beginning to start of the cycle?

Will post pictures later of the aquascape :)

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running the Aqua Duetto ATO. The sensor is located in the (small) 1st chamber and the return is in the middle chamber.

E4DF5B48-6B74-43D0-910D-72A8C7C933F8.jpeg

OP
OP
N

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good - I might get one of these as well. Are you adding any supplements?
I finally managed to get a few pictures of my setup. Still some white stuff in the water after the salt and aragonite, but it is slowly disappearing. The skimmer is on and producing som weird looking light green skimming.

Looking forward to see how the cycle will go.
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Tango99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I had a Fluval EVO 13.5 and it had a simliar integrated light. The lights were enough to grow Zoas, and LPS -- I even had a couple of SPS higher in the tank that seemed to be doing ok.

Despite what some others think in the forums, I liked the enclosed cover that helped to reduce evaporation.

I did not have any problems with heat - by my house is kept at a fairly consistent temperature throughout the year.

OP
OP
N

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tango - that is good news! Did you have one single light or did you add an extra?

Yes, mine seems to be stable around 78F but lets see when summer kicks in. Any pics of your Fluval Evo?

Tango99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
evo13-5.jpg

I used the light that came with the Fluval. The only thing I added for filtration was a little basket in chamber 1 for filter floss (dollar store container that happened to fit well in chamber 1) and some bio rings / chemipur in chamber 1.

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
evo13-5.jpg

I used the light that came with the Fluval. The only thing I added for filtration was a little basket in chamber 1 for filter floss (dollar store container that happened to fit well in chamber 1) and some bio rings / chemipur in chamber 1.
What was the little basket you are using from the dollar store? Any chance you could snap a picture of it? I a man looking for a diy solution as well. Thanks!

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my return pump to the sicce syncra 1.5 and added two of the intank media baskets. It made a huge difference in my opinion. I also kept my lid, you get basically no evaporation with it on so I have no need for an ATO. I also do not use a skimmer, I haven't seen the need for it yet and my tank is about maxed for fish, even though I have one more I want to add.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kpoj9 did you have issues with micro bubbles at first with the PS1 skimmer? Mine has been running for 2 weeks now and I cannot figure out how to keep it from producing millions of bubbles. It’s a new tank (4 weeks old) with only 2 clowns so it’s not producing any skimmate yet either. So I’m not sure if it is defective, user error, or simply needs to break it in more. But I’m concerned for the fish and I do not want to buy another fish yet as I do not know if this is harmful or not (I’ve read contradicting reports on this). I need advice!

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kpoj9 did you have issues with micro bubbles at first with the PS1 skimmer? Mine has been running for 2 weeks now and I cannot figure out how to keep it from producing millions of bubbles. It’s a new tank (4 weeks old) with only 2 clowns so it’s not producing any skimmate yet either. So I’m not sure if it is defective, user error, or simply needs to break it in more. But I’m concerned for the fish and I do not want to buy another fish yet as I do not know if this is harmful or not (I’ve read contradicting reports on this). I need advice!
Yes I had micro bubbles at first which isn’t unusual for skimmers. My PS1 cleared up after 1-2 weeks I think. Been using this skimmer for about 12 hours a day since last August. No complaints. You could try adjusting the air value or even try taking the skimmer apart just to verify everything is connected properly. I’d give it another couple weeks. To my knowledge micro bubbles are not harmful to the fish/coral. Good luck. I hope it works out.

AstronautInTheOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I had micro bubbles at first which isn’t unusual for skimmers. My PS1 cleared up after 1-2 weeks I think. Been using this skimmer for about 12 hours a day since last August. No complaints. You could try adjusting the air value or even try taking the skimmer apart just to verify everything is connected properly. I’d give it another couple weeks. To my knowledge micro bubbles are not harmful to the fish/coral. Good luck. I hope it works out.
I have the Fluval flex 32.5 gal and I never did get rid of the microbubbles from the PS1. I ran it for 8 weeks. I ended up replacing it with an Icecap K-1 Nano and really like it. Also, I think the icecap does a better job oxygenating the water since it draws fresh air. The PS1 draws air from the collection container, which helps pull bubbles up, but also just recycles the air in a closed loop within the skimmer rather than drawing in fresh air. My algae growth slowed a lot when I switched to the icecap, which was due to lower nitrates AND better oxygenated water.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
inTank makes a media basket with removable shelves for the Fluval Flex 32.5. I run the inTank ones on my IM 50 AIO and they are great:

I've heard great things about the K-1 nano skimmer as well. I think you'll have a tough time growing a lot of SPS with the stock lights, but I don't have personal experience so I'm not going to claim anything.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back