Fluval Flex 9 Help and Ideas

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I happen to have an extra FLuval Flex 9 laying around. At somepoint id like to set it up to be a small Acan and high end zoa tank.

Thinking AI prime for lighting, one of those water bottle ATO systems.

FIsh wise im thinking a clown goby, and maybe a couple firefish.

What would you recommend for filtration? Is there an in tank media basket option? What is the best pump upgrade? On such a small tank do i need a powerhead, or will a pump upgrade do the job for flow in such a small tank?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
The Sicce .5 or 1.0 is a common return pump replacement for nano tanks in the 10g range. From what I have seen some people use powerheads and some rely on an oversized return pump with some type of random flow attachment to the return nozzle. An AI Prime would work - I have a Noopsyche K7Pro2 over my IM 10g.

Hooz

View Badges
Reaction score
I did the same thing you're thinking of, so...

The back chamber is tiny. I upgraded to a Sicce Syncra Nano 110gph. I would've gone bigger, but didn't want to buy a bunch of pumps just to see if they'd fit. In hindsight, I think the Jebao DC-650 might fit. That would be a great option if it does.

I ditched the lid and went with a screen top, obviously. AI Prime 16HD running BRS AB+ at about 45% gave me the PAR I was looking for.

I put in both inTank baskets, floss pad, GFO and Rox carbon in the 1st and MarinePure Gems in the second.

I couldn't find a powerhead that gave me the (low) flow I was looking for, but a single 1/4" RFG seemed to do well for me. I swapped the 1/2" dual duckbill for a 1/2" to 1/4" locline reducer and a single RFG. It'd be even better with a slightly more powerful pump.

The water bottle ATO works great!

There is barely room in the return pump chamber for a heater, but you can squeeze one in there.

Hooz

View Badges
Reaction score
20210113_174702.jpg

Avast

HOW MUCH DO YOU LIKE ZOANTHIDS?

• LOVE them

Votes: 167 42.3%
  • Like them

Votes: 109 27.6%
  • They're "ok"

Votes: 76 19.2%