Fluval flex and a fuge

fishynate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Very new to the hobby but trying to start right. I am cycling a Fluval flex 32 but am considering some mods and before i over-engineer this “all-in-one” tank I wanted to get some opinions. Short term goal is stocking with some straightforward fish and not killing them, medium term goal is adding some soft corals, maybe some LPS. Long term goals are adding a mandarin. Towards that end I’m thinking of adding a crp HOB fuge. My dilemma is how best to incorporate it with other seemingly important mods.
1. Intank media basket - easy upgrade, in the tank already and working well
I can place the intake for the fuge in the central pump chamber in the back (see pic). The attached tunze pump is rated about the same (210 g/hr) as the (mediocre) pump that comes with the Fluval but is significantly smaller. I was going to remove the Fluval pump, block the powerhead outlet hole so the fuge pump is pulling water through the 2 Intank baskets (with carbon, foam, ceramic) sending it to the fuge and dumping back into the tank. With the power heads blocked I’ll have to pick up a Nero or something like it to keep the water moving - but figured I’d have to do that anyway. I should be able to fit a skimmer in the back pump chamber with the Fluval pump removed - I think.
Am I missing something or would this work well - giving me a fuge, a skimmer and still pulling the requisite water through the filtration media? I suppose an alternative would be to upgrade the Fluval pump to a sicce and keep the stock powerhead to increase throughput - but I don’t think I could fit that, a skimmer and the fuge input all in the back pump area - so would either have to forego the skimmer or get a HOB aqua max 1.5 and hang off the side.

am I overthinking this? I will have to cut a little plastic on the hood to fit the fuge outflow - but may end up with a net top and better lights down the road anyway.
Thanks for any thoughts/insight.

E0BC23E5-227B-4BB5-A925-8F1BB49BC689.jpeg

TonyTonga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This set up looks like it would work fine. I ended up adding a sump to my Flex three months ago.

Attachments

• PXL_20220528_223825557.jpg
    PXL_20220528_223825557.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
F

fishynate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice addition! The HOB refugium is working well so far! It elevates the back of the lid - but isn’t really noticeable from the usual viewing angles. There is a bit of light leak at night - glad it’s not in my bedroom. Parameters and fish/cuc seem happy, so far.

I have a tendency to want to mod the bejesus out of this tank - at some point it’s just easier to get a second tank that’s drilled and build it from the ground up. I guess that’s how the addiction starts…

Attachments

• 22083055-C67B-40F5-962F-4B1737492F7A.jpeg
    22083055-C67B-40F5-962F-4B1737492F7A.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 69

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back