Fluval Marine 3.0 or Current USA for 55 gallon soft coral tank.

BringingThatDottyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking for miracles from the light. I know in the past I had a current USA on a 29 gallon that was getting good growth out of Zoas and a few other corals. Essentially just want to do the same but in a 55 gallon. I just want a bar led so I don't have to worry about building a hood or a hanging system. I see that Fluval now has a similar LED, has anybody used both and if so which would you choose?

OP
OP
B

BringingThatDottyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither. Go with either quanta, orphek bars, or a few reef brites.
I think those are a little past the budget I had planned for this build. The lights and a new HOB filter are the only thing I actually have to buy to set it up. And I was planning on using an amazon gift card on the lights lol. I can't stress enough how cheap/simple this build is intended to be.

However the Quanta might actually be what I go with on the frag tank I plan on setting up later this this winter. So thanks!

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those are a little past the budget I had planned for this build. The lights and a new HOB filter are the only thing I actually have to buy to set it up. And I was planning on using an amazon gift card on the lights lol. I can't stress enough how cheap/simple this build is intended to be.

However the Quanta might actually be what I go with on the frag tank I plan on setting up later this this winter. So thanks!

Hmmmm. What corals do you plan on growing? The currents and fluvals are both weak lights. A single one quanta or orphek would probably be fine for softies and lps. Other options would be something like two smatfarm leds.

Last edited:

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the nicrew marine light. Doesn't make the corals look the best but they grow and you can pick up 2 for less than one of other brand lights.

OP
OP
B

BringingThatDottyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. What corals do you plan on growing? The currents and fluvals are both weak lights. A single one quanta or orphek would probably be fine for softies and lps. Other options would be something like two smatfarm leds.
I'm just shifting the rock and softies from an existing 30 gallon to a 55. So a couple small zoa colonies and frags. Some ricordia and other mushrooms. A big green leather and a candy cane coral. Right now I'm using a Nicrew but I feel like the current usa I used to have provided a little bit better control over the light. And I know the current usa I used to have over a 29 gallon grew zoas well.

OP
OP
B

BringingThatDottyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the nicrew marine light. Doesn't make the corals look the best but they grow and you can pick up 2 for less than one of other brand lights.
This is gonna be an all hob equipment reef so I just want a bar that will fit right over the hood. I have a nicrew bar over my 30 gallon that has the livestock I'm transferring to the 55 gallon. But I want something that keeps the settings if there's a blackout or it gets jostled out of its outlet.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will work for you

MICMOL - Smart LED Aquarium Light, Aqua Air, Dimmable Programmable Timer Sunrise Sunset Full Spectrum for Saltwater Coral Reef Fish Marine and Freshwater Shrimp Planted Fish Tank https://a.co/d/aUFZqOt

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a bar on budget with better performance than Fluval and Orbit, you could go with 21LEDusa Reefbarpro bars at ~$80/bar. Operation out of Texas. No frills, and controller is a bit basic, but good LEDs with excellent water penetration and spectrum.

I would try the Quanta bars as the next step up or a Noopsyche.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to order from amazon, your best bet for an led bar is still going to be the orphek or3. You can start with one and add a second later. A single one should be fine for soft corals and lps, but a second would allow you to place the corals further out from the center.

w88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking for miracles from the light. I know in the past I had a current USA on a 29 gallon that was getting good growth out of Zoas and a few other corals. Essentially just want to do the same but in a 55 gallon. I just want a bar led so I don't have to worry about building a hood or a hanging system. I see that Fluval now has a similar LED, has anybody used both and if so which would you choose?
The Reef Breeders, lights do a fantastic job on my tank and they are not that much more that current USA. They are what I upgraded my current USA lights to.

Back