Fluval Nano...first saltwater tank! I'm hooked...what do yall think?

Ramiro Casal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yo the tank looks amazing, I am also building my first one and thats how I want mine to look. I am by no means a pro and you should probs get someone elses opinion but the tank looks a lil overstocked.

Xavierwally

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reef tank was a evo 13.5. Your tank is over stocked. It’s important for us fishkeepers to keep in mind a level of quality of life for our fish. While they may be ok for a while, there’s a good chance they will get stressed out and be more susceptible to disease. Best of luck.

OP
OP
F

Fatboy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's overstocked [emoji29] and I hope I don't learn a lesson the hard way. I've always had a bit of trouble with being patient in the hobby but that is changing by the day. I just couldn't help myself. Some of the fish I bought I hot from a fish shop and they looked Terrible when I got them. They look so much better now and are all getting along. I do 50% water changes weekly and keep my parameters in check. It's more work for me but I'm learning. Thanks for the advice guys and thanks for watching!

OP
OP
F

Fatboy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero ammonia nitrite and 5-10ppm nitrate at the worst. I haven't gotten test kits for anything else but the corals seem happy and are all eating just fine. If I loose focus on the tank for a short while I bet I'd be up a creek but for now everything is solid. Next move is to get a better light.

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero ammonia nitrite and 5-10ppm nitrate at the worst. I haven't gotten test kits for anything else but the corals seem happy and are all eating just fine. If I loose focus on the tank for a short while I bet I'd be up a creek but for now everything is solid. Next move is to get a better light.

Awesome. As long as your corals are happy then you’ll be happy. They will tell you when something is off. I’d invest in those other kits when you can. They are valuable.

MarkLoveday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MermaidTail I've been debating on trying the chemipure elite. What's your maintenance routine on it. Also how much would you recommend for a 72 bf reef

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MermaidTail I've been debating on trying the chemipure elite. What's your maintenance routine on it. Also how much would you recommend for a 72 bf reef

I don’t have experience with a larger tank, this 6g is my first tank! But the chemipure elite works as my filtration and removes phosphates. I change that out the first of every month. I blow off rocks before a water change every 3 days. With such a small system, this helps keep everything happy. Just hit the two year mark!

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

MarkLoveday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run a carbonless 46 bf, only filtration is weekly water change and a hop ReefOctopus skimmer. Im cycling my 72bf as we speak and was thinking that since ill have more water volume, aswell as a sump, if i should just bite the bullet and run chemipure elite. Maybe inside the filter sock or just run a HOB for the media. If i had baffles in the sump i'd just throw it in one of the chambers. I don't have any micro bubbles BTW ( For the baffle police). I'm going to order the smaller bag and run it for a couple of months and see what happens. Why not right

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run a carbonless 46 bf, only filtration is weekly water change and a hop ReefOctopus skimmer. Im cycling my 72bf as we speak and was thinking that since ill have more water volume, aswell as a sump, if i should just bite the bullet and run chemipure elite. Maybe inside the filter sock or just run a HOB for the media. If i had baffles in the sump i'd just throw it in one of the chambers. I don't have any micro bubbles BTW ( For the baffle police). I'm going to order the smaller bag and run it for a couple of months and see what happens. Why not right

Totally- it all depends on what you’re trying to achieve. In my tank, I was getting phosphates and nitrate readings with poor coral coloration and some algae growth. When I took out the filter sponge (which was pretty gnarly honestly) I noticed a huge different. I just use the Chemipure Elite now, the nano bag. You’ll obviously need a bigger one for your tank for it to be effective, but if you want to combat phosphates, I say give it a go!

MarkLoveday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im gonna get some ill keep you posted. Not the best picture due to led reflecting off camera but here's the 46bf and my 72bf being cycled.

20180213_210945.jpg

20180213_211020.jpg

MarkLoveday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Definitely will be getting a snowflake clown to pair up with the Darwin. Mimic tang or maybe kole tang since he's on the smaller side. I'll also be trying a copperbanded butterfly. Hopefully ill be able to find one that's already accustomed to eating mysis

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back