Fluval Sea 13.5g - yellow clown goby and citron clown goby

ihatenitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a fluval sea 13.5g nano tank with 1 yellow clown goby (around 1" - 1.5") and I just saw that my LFS just got a shipment of citron clown gobies. I'm interested in maybe getting 1 citron but I'm not sure if this would cause a goby war. I read some posts on reef2reef about people keeping multiple gobies but in 20g+ tanks. I also know the general info "if the fish have similar body shapes + colors, they may fight" so I'm not sure if I should buy it or not.

Anyone have any experience with this?

edit: Also, since we're on the topic of gobies, I also saw that my LFS also has other dwarf gobies like black belly dwarf goby and starry dwarf goby. I would assume those would be fine with the yellow clown goby just because they look pretty different? Especially the starry dwarf goby, seems quite different from the yellow clown goby in my opinion.

Last edited:

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely it will end in a war.

Very different types of gobies would probably be okay ... such as a yellow clown goby and a shrimp goby.

But yellow clown gobies and citron gobies are both from the Gobiodon family ... and are most likely to see each other as VERY direct competition.

I tried two yellow clown gobies in my 4' long 65g, hoping they would either become a mated pair or just live on opposite ends of the tank...

No such luck. Once they both reached maturity one began to nip at the other one mercilessly. Nipped him up really good in over the course of just two days ... and I had to rehome the loser to my 10g nano to before it got killed.

OP
OP
I

ihatenitrites

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely it will end in a war.

Very different types of gobies would probably be okay ... such as a yellow clown goby and a shrimp goby.

But yellow clown gobies and citron gobies are both from the Gobiodon family ... and are most likely to see each other as VERY direct competition.

I tried two yellow clown gobies in my 4' long 65g, hoping they would either become a mated pair or just live on opposite ends of the tank...

No such luck. Once they both reached maturity one began to nip at the other one mercilessly. Nipped him up really good in over the course of just two days ... and I had to rehome the loser to my 10g nano to before it got killed.
Ah that's really unfortunate.

Not going to lie, I like how the citron looks more than the yellow clown goby but I don't want them to kill each other and I also don't want to rehome the yellow clown goby (for better or worse he is in my care and I try to give him a good life).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back