OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sitting here as the lights begin to fade and looking at my day three notes... You guys have no idea how much I wish they would say day 30, or 300 instead... :D

3E694301-4660-405C-8613-FAC66D5A7E0D.jpeg

Moving along, pa..tien...tly moving along

Ernie E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sitting here as the lights begin to fade and looking at my day three notes... You guys have no idea how much I wish they would say day 30, or 300 instead... :D

3E694301-4660-405C-8613-FAC66D5A7E0D.jpeg

Moving along, pa..tien...tly moving along

That magnet cleaner you have on the glass. What is that? It looks very low profile on inside.

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day Seven Update

1.5 Lts water change.
Dosing Bio S and Bio F daily (Increased the dose to 1.5 the usual to help recoup for the small water change)
No mechanical media
Both pumps on
Temp range 74/76
Light schedule at 45% x 10 including ramp up, ramp down and moonlight hours.

Water test as follows:
Salinity 1.026
PH 8.2
Alk 7.9
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 2

Expecting the 1st bloom sometime this week, but very impressed with Aquaforest’s capacity.

5083F32F-96C7-46A4-A5FD-EB235016B0CB.jpeg

Taking a sample to my LFS to retest (Something I usually like to do).

Moving along boys and girls :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium store readings came back pretty close to mine, actually better !.

Salinity 1.026
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Phosphates 0
Alkalinity 8
Calcium 420

Truly loving the @Aquaforest efficiency in a new reef.

I also got a truly nice surprise... posting bellow

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was as if it was written!!!

Those of you that have followed this build know I’m fairly new to @Aquaforest , I researched their products extensibly and I truly believe not only in the approach they are giving to each one of them but the results that are visible everywhere (Including my reef) in a daily basis.

Today I walked into my LFS and surprise!!!, right next to me: Mr Aquaforest himself!!!.

94BC34D3-6B21-4C62-8213-E7A6DEEB99B6.jpeg

I have to say, the charisma and dedication they are placing into us and our beloved hobby is overflowing, so to me it was a great day and a privilege to have been able to chat with him for a little while and experience up front that contagious passion that drives them.

So humbled and grateful right now.
Moving along ;Happy

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day Fifteen Update

No major changes as of yet, the Aquaforest bacteria and medium dosing continues doing its job in very impressive fashion.

Held this week’s water change as I have not seen any bloom and as of today only very distant and small dots of cyano have been present in the rock (These I have brushed away as soon as they are detected and the rock remains immaculate white).

Introduced a couple scrapes of Coralline algae in hopes to begin populating.

Water parameters are all within desired range... There has not been any need to include any other product to maintain as of yet.

No mechanical media, system is sustaining biologically with the AF Bio Fil, the AF Bio S bacteria and the AF Bio F medium.

Lights are still set at 100% Blue, 50% Whites and 10 hrs a day (Including ramping times).

CCU unit will be added soon, there is literally not enough of anything to sustain it right now.

Patiently waiting for the green monsters to show up any day now.

Moving along and super SUPER super happy with my reef.

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio Load

As the program seems to be running as expected and in an effort to promote a small biological load, I have decided to introduce one coral (Main reason being the first fish I’m planning to add is barely 1”)... The weekly feeding will create a boost within the cycle and even though I will have to take extra care of the coral over the algae, seemed a better option for this size reef.

So here it is, I call it “The chubby Lourdeses” and I’m totally ecstatic watching them accommodate in a happy way.

CC966D78-410D-4179-9040-2FF646CB6995.jpeg

I will begin feeding AF Power Food, AF Vitality and AF Amino Mix along with AF Build at 1/4 of the dose as soon as they get here (Had to order them as they were not in stock). In the meantime I will do a couple passes with Reef Roids and AF Build.

6FF17D3E-8284-4554-95B5-7BE602365521.jpeg

So far, so good...

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so, after a two year hiatus, it has been two months since I returned to R2R today; in one hand I had this little reef and a huge challenge to prove myself it could be done successfully, on the other, catching up with the industry, re encountering people I left behind and most importantly meet new reefers to keep on track.

Within this past two months, I have greatly enjoyed my tiny reef, I have seen how this hobby has advanced and even made new friends... So many that we now enthusiastically have formed a local club (Go figure!).

With these words, I just wanted to express my sincere gratitude to everyone that inhabits this web space, the owners, partner owners, members from all walks of life... Sharing daily, reading up on your experiences and having the opportunity to actually meet some of you has been really gratifying to say the least.

Some words to let you guys know how fulfilling these past 60 days have been when it comes to my reef keeping passion.

Cheers all

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 17th Update...

This morning I got freckles, is not cyano, nor detritus or even algae... The water is so pristine and the bio load is so small that I think they come from the single dose of Reef Roids (5ml worth of it), the color is a perfect match. The few snails I brought home yesterday are doing a great job munching on it.

Adding to this morning’s events, I found a tiny aiptasia anemone picking out of the Lourdeses (Is very little probably 3mm)... The colony is so small and has so many small heads growing in all sides that I have decided to take it back to the store for a few days and have it quarantined on a fire shrimp slot instead of handling it and probably ruining it (It was a bit expensive too).

After reading so many reviews, I did purchase the infamous Purple Helix Coralline Algae in a bottle, is said to contain several strands of coralline species and would help me speed up that process. Due to arrive tomorrow.

CAA9B8C6-6C15-4976-9808-A39B64DAA796.jpeg

I will probably stop being stubborn and bring home a small fish (Maybe a juvenile false percula couple) to mount the bio load and try and get this water dirty.

I wanted a tiny reef... Here we go!

Moving along!!!

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent build thread! I am enjoying following along and learning about the different aqua forest products.

Thank you!!!... As the progress continues more AF products will be included, as of now, only the Life Bio Fill, the Bio F medium and the Bio S bacter (This last dosing only after water change since day 16). Once I rid the algae bloom expected any day now, I will swap the NSW water for AF Reef Salt and begin dosing CA Plus, KH Plus, right at this time, I will begin introducing corals and the necessary products to make them thrive... This has just begun and I'm truly happy with the results so far.

Hang tight folks :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back