Fluval Sea EVO 5 Gallon AQUAFOREST Desktop Reef

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BD0777EC-650E-4408-9E32-72DAA81969C5.jpeg
Bent the knee again guys!!!... This time I truly hope to keep it simple, yet, it is proven how challenging dealing with such small amounts of water can be.

So here it goes :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some time to drive by a couple of my local fish stores, it had been ages since I visited and was cool to see many of these faces again.

Was mostly shopping for dry live rock and both places had really nice pieces, but for this tank anything bigger than a baseball is just too big, so my search will continue in hopes I can find a couple of them.

I did grab a bag of CaribSea sand in Fiji Pink.

A758EEDF-AA13-4B8A-9351-F67E63503C72.jpeg

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tank is out of the box!...
IMG_9126.JPG

IMG_9125.JPG

First impressions as expected, I honestly think this is one of those instances where you get your money’s worth (In a good sense).

Not used to a tank so small, so l guess is only normal it seems fragile, but no damage, no micro-cracks on the lid or the support braces (Still have to do a leak test though).

Left it out of its box, fitted everything and now patiently waiting for a few needed items to arrive any day now.

IMG_9127.JPG

It is my last day off this week, so I will take a quick drive to a couple LFS searching for some rock.

Moving along...

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of failed at my first challenge...

Visited nearly half a dozen local fish stores in search of live dry rock, I found lots of it, some of them spectacular even, but nothing in the size that would fit the size of my tank at only 6.25” wide x 11” tall and considering I just simply hate the look of broken purple rock I had to settle for picking up some Reef Saver rock.

d1120cd366a45f67478f6f7a34c603c2.jpg

To think only a couple of these will fit inside.

Moving along...

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool little build! was the NSW expensive I would think shipping would be a killer?
why not go collect some saltwater off shore like 100 gal and filter it through a sand filter after all your in Miami flordia!

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool little build! was the NSW expensive I would think shipping would be a killer?
why not go collect some saltwater off shore like 100 gal and filter it through a sand filter after all your in Miami flordia!

Thanks Devaji :)

No shipping, this is locally available, the 5 gallon jug retails for $ 25.00, I guess is just a matter of convenience in an effort to adhere to the program and since all my previous reefing equipment is gone I really wish to keep this as simple as possible.

Once I go into a more developed phase, I may start mixing AF Reef Sea or AF Probiotic salts...

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going against Fluval’s engineering logic, I went ahead and sealed the two water slots inside the sump (One located in the front wall that is supposed to guarantee water intake to the circulating pump, and other in the chamber division).

9B608A86-6811-4CC2-B8F0-9379196894F9.jpeg

Ironically, I just finished watching a build series chapter of a tank like this one in YouTube and the host did the exact same thing... I guess we reefers think alike.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Devaji :)

No shipping, this is locally available, the 5 gallon jug retails for $ 19.00 (Not bad considering the container alone is worth at least half of that). I guess is just a matter of convenience since all my previous reefing equipment is gone and I really wish to keep this as simple as possible.

Miami sea water implies a 45 minute drive, a long walk hauling heavy stuff with your shoes full of sand (Which will result in a mandatory carwash) and who knows what kind of water quality and hitch hikers will come from it.

I know is a bit expensive (Like everything else in this awesome hobby), but in reality, a 4.4 gallon jug will probably last me a full month worth of water changes, is already filtered and treated and right on the way back home (A excuse to go check the LFS too).

yeah collecting NSW can be a PITA I have done it a few different times in my reefing life.
well if it last a month and no RODI or salt is needed then it's a good deal.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you still wish you went with the 13.5? I have been thinking about these tanks for quite some time. I am in reefing limbo so I can set up my new red sea 750 so I am dreaming if a little nano :D

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah collecting NSW can be a PITA I have done it a few different times in my reefing life.
well if it last a month and no RODI or salt is needed then it's a good deal.

Totally!!!... A jug of these and a single gallon of RODI water should be enough for a month.

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you still wish you went with the 13.5? I have been thinking about these tanks for quite some time. I am in reefing limbo so I can set up my new red sea 750 so I am dreaming if a little nano :D

I honestly think the 13.5 is a better purchase for the money and even though both would require upgrades overtime, it would give you a wider range for preference in all aspects.

This is the smallest setup I have ever owned and a challenge to be enjoyed (I have not begun but sure see it coming).

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think the 13.5 is a better purchase for the money and even though both would require upgrades overtime, it would give you a wider range for preference in all aspects.

This is the smallest setup I have ever owned and a challenge to be enjoyed (I have not begun but sure see it coming).
The thing is that if your goal is to go with a small tank for desktop use you might as well go with a 5g. I have set up the 13.5 and it honestly is too big for most areas where you would want to put it like next to your computer. I'm going with a pico 3.8 gallon build and am going to love it. The larger size also means you will need a larger light if you decide to upgrade as well as larger pumps and more larger water changes. Having a super small tank is nice as 1-gallon water change is quick and easy.

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is that if your goal is to go with a small tank for desktop use you might as well go with a 5g. I have set up the 13.5 and it honestly is too big for most areas where you would want to put it like next to your computer. I'm going with a pico 3.8 gallon build and am going to love it. The larger size also means you will need a larger light if you decide to upgrade as well as larger pumps and more larger water changes. Having a super small tank is nice as 1-gallon water change is quick and easy.

Yes sir!, totally agree.

On a separate note, it would be the very first time in my life I consider purchasing a heater... Still cannot believe it!!!, for the past 30 years living in Florida it has always been the challenge to keep the reef cooled.... Will see.

Shooting for 1st Monday in August to begin cycling (Fingers crossed).

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir!, totally agree.

On a separate note, it would be the very first time in my life I consider purchasing a heater... Still cannot believe it!!!, for the past 30 years living in Florida it has always been the challenge to keep the reef cooled.... Will see.

good luck and have fun! keep the build thread going we all want to see what you do with this little tank :D

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir!, totally agree.

I'm in Brevard and I have the same issue with keeping cool. I doubt I'll buy a heater tho.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back