OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested, re tested and had one more test made at the local fish store... Water parameters came out nearly perfect!, so, no flush required (Sigh of relief).

On a separate note, I call for a mandatory name change... No way around it

CAF87276-7428-428E-A9B0-0F0607B42DFA.jpeg

We’ll call them Vini & Vici; contrary to popular believe, they have spent all day together peacefully, maybe I just got lucky.

Brought the Acans back and placed them in the same spot they used to be, will post photo once they re aclimate and open back up.

Thank you for reading.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested, re tested and had one more test made at the local fish store... Water parameters came out nearly perfect!, so, no flush required (Sigh of relief).

On a separate note, I call for a mandatory name change... No way around it

CAF87276-7428-428E-A9B0-0F0607B42DFA.jpeg

We’ll call them Vini & Vici; contrary to popular believe, they have spent all day together peacefully, maybe I just got lucky.

Brought the Acans back and placed them in the same spot they used to be, will post photo once they re aclimate and open back up.

Thank you for reading.
They’re nice. I’m big on pairs and groups of fish so it’s always nice to see. I hope they continue to be peaceful with each other.

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day Fourty Five Update (On day 46)

Reef has noticeable progress even though is somewhat unstable still...

The Aquaforest program:

Dosing full load of AF Bio S and Pro Bio F once a week (Every time my top off volume reaches 1 liter). Replenishing 20% +/- of AF Life Bio Fill every thirty days. Introduced AF Carbon on day 40 and been testing the AF Nitra-Phos minus in very small doses which seems to be working since as of today I have only gotten very scarce hair algae strands in low circulation places (Random Nitrate readouts some days 0 some days very low numbers); all other parameters in check but managing alkalinity and calcium as they tend to drop constantly (I guess product of the green coralline presence). For corals I’ve been direct feeding AF Aminos, AF Vitality and AF Strong, alternated with AF LPS Coral Food

Live Stock

I wasn’t so lucky after all... After a couple days of swimming together, the small clown goby became fairly aggressive towards the other, so I took it to a friend’s home from whom I purchase frags every now and then (At least I will get to see him sporadically).

Perculas are doing well

Corals

Candy cane is doing great, a couple heads with double mouths are beginning to split; the Green Bay Packers are still adapting but they open fully (Most of the time); also added a couple more Acans yesterday.

Overall, a successful cycle and truly enjoying the challenge.

CBA377C4-7FF7-4C84-94C7-D61E040318A5.jpeg

Moving along, thank you for reading

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space Invaders... Whoever gets off that bridge will get chopped off :)

1F64B8F6-02E2-4A9B-8B98-77D07D071EC6.jpeg

Also added the first SPS... Still was a little mad from being taken from the plug, but hey, looks ok

364E2BEE-7410-4149-90C5-F1E1316F4F96.jpeg

Reef has changed a little since the last update... Took this pic at lights out yesterday, will do a new update on Saturday (Day 60)

E97738BB-2A2F-4349-AE86-9489FCB40EAB.jpeg

Moving along :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things coming along @juanrmattos ? im still considering one of these little tanks for a desktop RFA garden

Not forgotten, just been truly busy at work these past few weeks, apologies.

I have a lot to catch up with you guys, including a “Leak”, “Amphypods in show size”, and the purchase of a “new Reef”.... I promise to make some time to elaborate on these subjects on my next day off, in the meantime, here is a photo taken a few minutes ago (Day 81).

8CEF285F-8537-4F35-8317-B7B4A5CF5D02.jpeg

Thank you for reading

Cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overdue Update Day 90 on Day 93

Amazing how days go by!, here I am on day 93 trying to crunch down every that has happened since the last one, so fill that cup of coffee and bare with me:

The reef tank:
Everything working fine now, but I did have a small leak in the back glass that luckily was on the top side and was fairly easy to repair. To think that at that point I was ready to dump the tank and start from scratch, truly glad I didn't give up on it!!!.

The Amphypod incident
On or about day 40, I noticed these pods crawling all over the rocks, GREAT!!! I said to myself.... Well, not at all!, at least not for a 4 Gallon reef; very quick I starting noticing how big they got and how my zoa colonies were upset all the time, Im talking about 1/2” to 3/4” pods, I just felt like having roaches under my bed!!! Show size pods guys

3D4098B9-E5DB-4D16-908A-8B1C589B7B72.jpeg

Livestock
Due to the pod-roach infestation, I took Martin and Garrix out to a local friend and gave Armin to another of my friends; I introduced a Yellow Coris Wrasse to deal with the issue, and since at the moment it was meant to be temporary, we decided to call it “Chiquita”, like the banana brand; today I know I will never ever have a reef without one of these!!!.... He sure is a beggar, but super active, somewhat trainable and a true help, I have not seen a pod bigger than 3mm in weeks, zoas are happy and so Am l!.

Corals
Slowly worked my way into a small Acan Garden adding Zoas at the same time; right around day 75 added the first Monties and a Stylo... Waited until day 86 to introduce the first few Acros and Im happy to report they are all doing great!... Pretty much 1/4 of the reef is packed (Front to back), still adding Zoas and Acros (A couple a week when possible) and truly hoping to keep running as solid as it has.

Here is a photo taken on day 90 (Two days ago)

F04C0558-0614-40E6-9B11-EC22F160BDB6.jpeg

Moving along guys... :)

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this tank probably got shut down but did you have success with two clowns and a clown goby? Was thinking of that stocking for a nano build soon

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this tank probably got shut down but did you have success with two clowns and a clown goby? Was thinking of that stocking for a nano build soon

This tank was probably one of the best Nano experiences I had in nearly 20 years of reefing!; I gave it away to a fellow club reefer due to medical reasons and all the stock was thriving on its final day.

Clowns are the best option for a new reef (Big or small), I particularly like the Stubby Clowns, I currently house a pair on my EVO 13.5. The clown gobies are a bit fragile for a new reef, but they can be kept in a stable tank. The Yellow Wrasse is a great option too, really hardy, but it needs pods and at least 1.5” of sand (As the like to sleep burrowing under).

Ursuladives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is that if your goal is to go with a small tank for desktop use you might as well go with a 5g. I have set up the 13.5 and it honestly is too big for most areas where you would want to put it like next to your computer. I'm going with a pico 3.8 gallon build and am going to love it. The larger size also means you will need a larger light if you decide to upgrade as well as larger pumps and more larger water changes. Having a super small tank is nice as 1-gallon water change is quick and easy.
i have both the 13.5 and a 5 and prefer the 5 for small spaces. plus it sounds like you are up for the challenge! never seen that water before thats pretty cool! may i ask where you got the grate material for the bottom?

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have both the 13.5 and a 5 and prefer the 5 for small spaces. plus it sounds like you are up for the challenge! never seen that water before thats pretty cool! may i ask where you got the grate material for the bottom?
That grate material is usually flourescent lighting grate found at most hardware stores :) I personally have never found much use for it and find it very unsightly when fish or whichever uncover it.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day Fourty Five Update (On day 46)

Reef has noticeable progress even though is somewhat unstable still...

The Aquaforest program:

Dosing full load of AF Bio S and Pro Bio F once a week (Every time my top off volume reaches 1 liter). Replenishing 20% +/- of AF Life Bio Fill every thirty days. Introduced AF Carbon on day 40 and been testing the AF Nitra-Phos minus in very small doses which seems to be working since as of today I have only gotten very scarce hair algae strands in low circulation places (Random Nitrate readouts some days 0 some days very low numbers); all other parameters in check but managing alkalinity and calcium as they tend to drop constantly (I guess product of the green coralline presence). For corals I’ve been direct feeding AF Aminos, AF Vitality and AF Strong, alternated with AF LPS Coral Food

Live Stock

I wasn’t so lucky after all... After a couple days of swimming together, the small clown goby became fairly aggressive towards the other, so I took it to a friend’s home from whom I purchase frags every now and then (At least I will get to see him sporadically).

Perculas are doing well

Corals

Candy cane is doing great, a couple heads with double mouths are beginning to split; the Green Bay Packers are still adapting but they open fully (Most of the time); also added a couple more Acans yesterday.

Overall, a successful cycle and truly enjoying the challenge.

CBA377C4-7FF7-4C84-94C7-D61E040318A5.jpeg

Moving along, thank you for reading
Be very carful with the Pro Bio F and Nitraphos Minus. They can take time to take full effect and will bottom out your nutrients suddenly when they do kick in. Personally, I would stop Nitraphos Minus until Pro Bio F is up to a daily dose and isn’t bringing down phosphate and nitrates any longer. Neither is great at keeping phosphates in check, thus using something like Rowaphos. I only dose on Wednesday and Friday and don’t use GFO and I’m riding that line of barely seeing any nitrates or phosphate. I recommend using their Amino, Build, Energy and Vitality series along with Power and Pure Food but skip Growth.

Nice work!

Back