Fluval Sea & Marine NANO: PAR map on NUVO 20 with 2x lights

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a PAR map of my tank today using an Apogee MQ-510 (rented from BRS). My tank is an IM NUVO 20Pro measuring 24in long and approximately 11 in from the water surface to the sand bed. The display is 12 in deep. I have the lights mounted 11.5 inches on center, with each light 6.5 inches from the side of the tank, and 2.5 inches above the water surface.

The lights are 20W each, fully programmable, with 5 channels (pink, cyan, blue, purple and white). Purchased by me on Amazon for $80 each

I did not have a sensor pole for the Parmeter, so I am sure that some of the readings are lower due to my arm being in the tank and blocking some of the light at some positions. I did not map the entire tank, only likely coral placements for my rockscape. (total of 20 points)

*NOTE: The same picture was used for all tests with result numbers overlayed. Image does not represent the appearance of the test settings.

My first test was with the following settings (both lights the same for all tests)

All channels at 100%

All 100%.png

Second test:

Pink-25%, Cyan-100%, Blue-100%, Purple-100$, White-50%

P25-W50-Bs100.png

Final test:

Pink-10%, Cyan-100%, Blue-100%, Purple-100%, White-30%

p10-w30-Bs100.png

Conclusion:

I think that for a Nano tank (which these were designed) these are a viable option for soft/LPS set up, and with the appropriate rockscape even an "easy" SPS or two. They are quite a bit cheaper than most of the other lights that I looked at, and still offer ramping and app controllability that many of the other budget options do not offer. I am amazed at the coverage, considering the light is only 2.5 inches above the surface of the water. I feel the they would struggle on a tank much deeper than 12 inches, unless you only plan to have softies, with maybe some LPS nearer the top of the tank. They do have quite a bit of shimmer, and I did notice some "disco ball" effect when the Pink lights were turned up high. I would also recommend a third light if your tank is much longer than 24-30 inches. Each light is perfect for covering a 12x12 area. I have not been able to find any way of syncing the two lights together, however once you establish the schedule program you desire to use, the same program can be exported to both lights.

I can not speak to the longevity of the lights, though I have used Fluval FW lights with great success for many years. If you are looking for a budget light for your nano tank, with many of the options only found in more expensive lights, give these a look.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back