Fluval Sea Marine PAR (two of them) on Red Sea Reefer 250 (bye bye Radion's)

p-rizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Been lurking for a while and finally decided to post something. I recently sold my G5 Radion XR15's due to the irritation of the "light spill" throughout my home office.... which is where my tank is. I wanted something controllable and low profile and settled on either 2 Lumi Lite pros, or 2 Fluval Sea Marine 3.0's. I decided to try both options and test with a brand new Apogee PAR meter on "loan" from BRS. While the Lumi Lite's definitely give the coral more "pop", I decided to go with the Fluval's for their form and function. I also don't mind the more natural look of the tank. Only Time will tell if this adventure will pay off, but I figured I'd post a photo with some par numbers based on my current custom settings.

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 250 with a Clearview Lid. Overall display volume is 55 gallons, I believe. the tank is about 36"L, 21"H, and 19" deep. I've had it up for a year and was doing really well with SPS and LPS until a total tank crash due to Dino's a few months ago..... I totally bottomed out on nutrients and was at 0/0 Nitrate and Phosphate.

And, yes, I do realize the Powder Brown will outgrow the tank. It was added to help with some algae issues and will be rehomed or upgraded if I'm able to successfully grow out this tank. Also, I actually moved the Pavona after taking these measurements as 260 is generally too high for this coral... or so I've read.

Anyone else with recent success with these lights? I did see some positive reviews in older threads.

Red Sea 250.jpg

OP
OP
P

p-rizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure this would be considered an upgrade, but if you're happy...
Definitely *NOT* an upgrade. Didn't mean to imply it was.

I just got a bit tired of the excess light spilling into the room / into my eyes. If I didn't spend so much of the day in my home office, I probably would've kept the Radion's. They really made the coral shine. Hoping I can still grow out a nice reef with these Fluval's while also being more comfortable in the space. Plus, I do have some $$ left over due to the difference in price to invest in some lower light LPS corals..... Although I'm hesitant to try torches after nuking a 21 tales. a couple weeks back.

psott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 Fluval Sea Marine 3.0's on my 72G and it has been going great! Have been getting good growth on on my encrusting sps and softies.

What are your settings to get those PAR numbers? I have been meaning to rent a PAR meter from a LFS but was waiting until my second tank is running.

Attachments

• Tank Nov15 2021.jpg
    Tank Nov15 2021.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 146
OP
OP
P

p-rizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve backed the whites down to 10% for a while due to a big algae bloom. So we’ll see how it goes.

glad to see you’re having so much success… give me hope. The peaks and valleys have really been driving me crazy lately.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back