Fluval Sea Nano vs. AI Prime 16 on a Fluval 13.5

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm looking to upgrade my stock lighting on the Fluval evo 13.5, it's only my second reef and I'm not sure which light to get. I understand the AI prime is probably superior. However, the fluval light (with mount) is about $100 and the prime with a gooseneck is roughly $275. I want to keep mostly LPS, zoas, shrooms, and a BTA. Maybe try some SPS near the top. Would SPS be the difference between the two lights?

Is there any chance the fluval nano would do well on such a small tank or will I just be wasting money? I'd also to like to hear if anyone has a better suggestion. Thanks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the 16. It will allow you more options for corals or another tank down the road

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you figuring out what my options were to upgrade my lighting since I own the same tank. I heard varying opinions on the Fluval Nano which made me concerned and of course everyone has heard the AI Prime is a superior product. I started looking into the Ai Prime 16HD and the Kessil A160, both are more than enough for this tank. I ended up finding someone on here in the marketplace selling their Ai Prime 16HD with mount for $190 shipped. So I’d start looking around for used ones to save yourself some money.
As for SPS, I’ve thought about getting a couple frags but I heard it’s not all about lighting. They prefer more stable parameters and need a lot higher of flow than LPS sooo in such a small tank, parameters can fluctuate. And I’m not about to damage my euphyllia with way too much flow in the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back