Flux Capacitor’s 525XL Reboot

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have to start my tank over, I figured I’d start a new build thread for the reboot.

Just got my new reefer 525XL tank today. Went to @Reef Collective this weekend to buy new rock and supplies. Started breaking up the rock early this morning, and have been in the garage for the last 3 hours or so putting a new scape together. Later tonight I’ll post an updated equipment list.

Here is the new scape:

image.jpg

What do you guys think?

OP
OP
Flux Capacitor

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got most of the mortar on the new rockscape done, tomorrow I’ll finish up. I’m pretty happy with the way it’s coming together. Decided to go bare bottom with a board of 1/8” ABS. I plan to fill my sump with most of my current rock, which is about 2.5 years old. Shouldn’t have much of a cycle with the amount of live rock I’m adding.

As promised here is the equipment list for the new setup:

Tank/Stand/Sump - Red Sea Reefer 525XL
Lights - 4 Radion XR-15 G5 Pros (might add at 5th)
Skimmer - NYOS 160
Flow - 3 Ecotech MP 40s
Return Pump - Ecotech Vectra M2
Fuge light - Kessil H380
Apex - 2016 with a Trident
Dosing - 1 DOS Pump
AWC - 1 DOS Pump
ATO - Tunze Osmolator 3155 with a Litermeter Pump

Fish List:
Yellow Tang - Leonard
Blue Tang - Blue
2 Female Lyretail Anthias - we call both Penelope or the Penelopes
1 Male Lyretail Anthias - Frank
1 Female DaVinci Clown - Claudette (Clyde)
1 Male DaVinci Clown - Bobby Clown
1 Maluanarus Wrasse - Huey
1 Cleaner Shrimp - Jacque

Algaewarrior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I love all of the NSA that are starting to pop up. It will be really cool to see it with some corals growing out on it!

OP
OP
Flux Capacitor

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really happy how this is turning out. I think it’s going to look better than any of the other aquascaping I’ve done to date.

OP
OP
Flux Capacitor

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I have a little brown algae on my back glass of the current tank. It’s pretty new, and after looking at it under a microscope it looks like a bunch of worms. you can see them just swimming around. I was worried it might be Dino’s, but my nitrates are 2ppm and my Po4 is .03, so I was a little skeptical. Anyway I posted a few pictures of the microscope in a thread in the pest ID area, just waiting for someone to hopefully be able to tell me what they are. Here’s a picture:

78EB36DC-7494-4759-89DF-48436EA2DEBF.jpeg

On with the new setup, I finally got the rock all done! I have covered all the joints in mortar and covered then all with sand. Tomorrow I’m going to rinse everything off to see if there are any spots that need to be reworked. I’ll post a picture when all the loose sand is cleaned off.

I have 2 55 gallon tubs ready to fill with RODI water, which I’ll start that process tomorrow. Then I’m gonna scrub what little hair algae is on my current rocks, and put them in another tub of tank water.

I’m hoping to get the old tank off the stand and new tank in place by Thursday.

OP
OP
Flux Capacitor

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy new year!

I am going to try to keep my build thread more up to date this year. Here’s a run down since my last post.

During the tank transfer I unfortunately lost all of my corals. I thought I had a good plan in place for the transfer and I’m not sure what really happen, but I lost them all none the less.

After getting the tank setup and running I ran into dinos. I used all the rock I had from my original tank in my sump, which was 3 years old, but the new NSA I put together was all new dry rock. I’m finally out of the woods with the dinos. I removed the fuge from the system, and started feeding more often with my auto feeder. I also installed a 25 Watt Aqua UV a few weeks ago. Theses changes have beaten back the dinos, and I’m really happy with the way my tank is doing right now.

I have a good bit of coralline settling in and my parameters are holding pretty rock solid right now. I do have a small bit of cyano around, but sucking it out seems to be keeping it at bay for the most part.

Alk 9.0
Cal 450-460
Mg 1420
No3 5-8 ppm
Po4 .07-.13

I’ll try to get some photos up tomorrow.

OP
OP
Flux Capacitor

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this reboot didn’t go quite as planned. I started working a ton, which then I fell behind on updating this thread. We ended up moving across the country about 14 months after my last post. The good news is the tank made the move with us, along with all the fish.

The tank was setup up again at the new place, and has been running for a year now. I used the original NSA scape I made , the only real issue is I have with it is there are a lot of virmtid snails. I started dosing DIY Coral Snow hoping to starve them out.

Everything else has settled in, and I added some sps to the tank when I started in the raindrops on roses contest with @Battlecorals last year. I just added about 14 new sps a little over a week ago from the @A Reef Creation sale. So far everything looks happy with great polyp extension.

I need to get better with taking photos of my tank, once I get that figured out I’ll start posting some of them.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back