Flux RX and Second Dose

fresco194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 7 days into Flux RX treatment for GHA and to me it looks like is not working as expected. I have pulled the Chemipure Elite bag and skimmer has been off the entire time and am doing a large water change after 14 days. I know that I need to give it at least 14 days to see any results. Also seeing some dinos on the substrate and my n03 and p04 has bottomed out. I'm also dosing h202 to help with the algae and dinos. If after 14 days and I don't see much going on, can I and should I do a second dose? Should I do the water change before or not do one until after the end of the second treatment? Is it necessary to leave the skimmer off during the entire treatment or just the 72 hours as recommended? Sorry if these sound like noob questions and thanks in advance.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 7 days into Flux RX treatment for GHA and to me it looks like is not working as expected. I have pulled the Chemipure Elite bag and skimmer has been off the entire time and am doing a large water change after 14 days. I know that I need to give it at least 14 days to see any results. Also seeing some dinos on the substrate and my n03 and p04 has bottomed out. I'm also dosing h202 to help with the algae and dinos. If after 14 days and I don't see much going on, can I and should I do a second dose? Should I do the water change before or not do one until after the end of the second treatment? Is it necessary to leave the skimmer off during the entire treatment or just the 72 hours as recommended? Sorry if these sound like noob questions and thanks in advance.

I personally would hold off on the waterchange as long as you can. If you change water it will just give the algae a foothold again. I personally didn’t see much change until about the 14 day mark. Some algae can take much longer than 14 days to show any change. I personally went 6 weeks without a water change and it got rid of all my bryopsis completely and it has never come back again. I started collecting skimmate 3 days after dosing, so I would say it is safe for you to go back to skimming.

I wouldn’t do a second dose yet.

OP
OP
fresco194

fresco194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will hold off. I have seen some people say not to feed corals if there are dinos present. Is this true and is it Ok that I am dosing peroxide?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will hold off. I have seen some people say not to feed corals if there are dinos present. Is this true and is it Ok that I am dosing peroxide?

The peroxide dosing is probably ok, I can’t say for sure. As for feeding your corals when you have dinos I’m sure you’ll get a mixed bag of answers for that one. I’m by no means a dino expert so I’ll defer any opinions for someone who may know better.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it would be okay to do a water change if you dose the new water with the correct proportion of fluconazole?

SCK1027

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I successfully used fluconazole to eradicate bryopsis in my tank, but not hair algae. I know that Flux Rx says it's used for both bryopsis and GHA, but Reef Flux, which has the same ingredient, says it's "Not effective against hair or other turf style algae" in BRS' product page. Maybe it could work if you increase the dosage, but in my experience, it only worked on bryopsis.
On the other hand, hydrogen peroxide seemed to have worked when I was trying to combat GHA.
Good Luck!

OP
OP
fresco194

fresco194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I successfully used fluconazole to eradicate bryopsis in my tank, but not hair algae. I know that Flux Rx says it's used for both bryopsis and GHA, but Reef Flux, which has the same ingredient, says it's "Not effective against hair or other turf style algae" in BRS' product page. Maybe it could work if you increase the dosage, but in my experience, it only worked on bryopsis.
On the other hand, hydrogen peroxide seemed to have worked when I was trying to combat GHA.
Good Luck!
How long did it take for the peroxide to rid of the algae? Any affects to the corals, fish or inverts?

SCK1027

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I dosed everyday after lights went out for around 2 weeks, and the algae started to become white. I can't say that the hydrogen peroxide did all the work, but when I target blasted with a baster, it bubbled up and turned white by next day.

Fish and inverts were fine from what I saw. As for coral health, my zoanthids closed up, but opened back up after some minutes. LPS seemed to be unaffected, while I did have few acros lose color while doing this regimen (not sure if it was the hydrogen peroxide or other outside stress though).

OP
OP
fresco194

fresco194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I dosed everyday after lights went out for around 2 weeks, and the algae started to become white. I can't say that the hydrogen peroxide did all the work, but when I target blasted with a baster, it bubbled up and turned white by next day.

Fish and inverts were fine from what I saw. As for coral health, my zoanthids closed up, but opened back up after some minutes. LPS seemed to be unaffected, while I did have few acros lose color while doing this regimen (not sure if it was the hydrogen peroxide or other outside stress though).
Thanks. I think what I'll do is hit my tank with a second dose of flux rx after 14 days if no results and in the mean time keep dosing peroxide. One of them has to work I would think.

Last edited:

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when using this product. How long should you leave the uv sterilizer off? 72 hours? Same as carbon and skimmer? Also when would you be able to resume macro algae reactor?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when using this product. How long should you leave the uv sterilizer off? 72 hours? Same as carbon and skimmer? Also when would you be able to resume macro algae reactor?
I have the same question about using my UV sterilizer at the same time as treating with Flux RX.

Mkeller088

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Luck!
I read it works on some strains of GHA, and not on others.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back