Flux RX treatment. Leave it alone or manually remove dying algae?

BikePsych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on day 5 of Flux RX treatment in a 55 gallon tank. Bryopsis/GHA has definitely turned grey/silver and is thinning out. Question is: Do i leave it alone and let if die off and completely disappear or do I need to manually remove they dying algae?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on day 5 of Flux RX treatment in a 55 gallon tank. Bryopsis/GHA has definitely turned grey/silver and is thinning out. Question is: Do i leave it alone and let if die off and completely disappear or do I need to manually remove they dying algae?
if you can pull it out, that will help your overall water parameters.

Don't do water change until you are done with treatment, so "pull it out" I mean reach in with your fingers and pull it out.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have algae-eaters like tangs, they'll eat some of it now that it's not alive - something about living bryopsis tends to turn them off, but from what I've heard they actually find it palatable once the fluco has run its course.

But yes, unless you want to leave it in as a snack for your fish, best to remove what you can as it dies. Left alone it'll rot and turn back into its component nutrients, which could lead to a nutrient spike and a rebound outbreak - typically cyano.

OP
OP
BikePsych

BikePsych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for your replies. Very helpful. I did a big pull/pinch/remove session today. Tried to get as much as I could out of the tank and let the rest go into the filter socks. Changed the socks tonight. Always get nervous sticking my arm in the tank over and over. Looks like I'll be doing this for the next few days. Even in a dying state, this stuff sticks to rocks like crazy!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back