Foam finesse: How do you choose the size of your skimmer?

How do you choose the size of your skimmer?

• I follow the manufacturer’s guidelines.

Votes: 106 34.2%
  • I follow the suggestions from R2R members.

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • I start with the recommended size and then adjust based on other equipment in my system.

Votes: 69 22.3%
  • I go with what fits in my sump.

Votes: 44 14.2%
  • I just guess.

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • I don’t have a skimmer.

Votes: 38 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 27 8.7%

• Total voters

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RedSea 425 so about 100gal and an RSK600. RedSea recommends the 600 for my tank but it's just not necessary. It took forever to break in with my new setup; prob a function of the very low bio load. Totally unrelated to the poll question but interesting to me.....why does RedSea recommend a certain skimmer with a specific water level mark, for a specific RedSea sump, but that mark is impossible to hit unless you put it on a skimmer stand?
Agreed. I’ve noticed that as well.

And that’s exactly why I built myself a DIY skimmer stand. I suppose the bonus is that you can keep some extra water volume in the sump.

August

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the skimmer needs to fit in the place you want to put it. I got a coralife skimmer back in the day thinking I would run it in the sump, until I discovered that my DIY sump and tank stand just wouldn't work and I refused to put in on the back of the tank even though it was a HOB skimmer. I should have returned the thing but I was new to the hobby and thought I could rig up something to work.

I am not seeing any post commenting that skimmers are only part of the filtration and can be undersized if you are running socks or filter fleece. BRS did a section on skimmer selection that I thought was very helpful and they pointed out that you can under size the skimmer. There is a lot of tuning that I have done on my Reef Octopus space saver from adjusting the height of the water in the sump chamber to the flow rate of the varios needle wheel pump.

To fight nitrates I have been dozing carbon to help with bacterial colony production which has been very effective in reducing the nitrates in my tank which used to always run really high. Running a skimmer is suppose to be required as a way to export the nitrate consuming bacteria.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still trying to figure it out but I've got 2 simplicity skimmers and they seam to be working well

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built this tank, I got a reef octopus XP3000i which is rated 200-300. That was based off a 200g tank and 38g sump. Don't recall my thinking back then but it was probably oversizing since I usually end up overstocking and carrying a heavy bio load. I lucked out when I ordered it because it just did fit in my sump and it's been an awesome skimmer or should I say sludge collector. That HY3000 pump has been running around the clock over 9 years w/o issue with ozone.

NickGrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other, my tank's a 5' x 2' and I run a SRO 5000 ext which would be way overkill for most reef tanks but I have a big fish bio load & carbon dose. The skimmer has a lot of volume and a long, controllable dwell time, it never really stops producing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back