Foam level and water in skimmer

aerialdronemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello dear reefer.

Please take a look at this vidoe
Should I keep the foam at the the lower level of the cup or high ?

Also I have a water in the cup. Is it ok ?

Thank you

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That skimmer needs to break in so I would say the lower level of the cup.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer to your question is personal preference, and depends on if you like "dry" or "wet" skimmate.

In my case, I set my skimmer so the air/water interface is level with the bottom of the collection cup, and then adjust the amount of air intake until I get dry foam in the cup.

Check out this video from BRS

One piece of advice: whatever tweaks you make, do them SLOWLY. When you make any adjustments, walk away and give it a couple o hours before you come back and see the result or make another tweak!

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ... in answer to your second question - NO - the collection cup should NOT have water in it.

Whenever your collection cup fills up you should empty it right away ... otherwise you run the risk of it overflowing back into your sump and defeating the whole purpose of having a skimmer!

OP
OP
A

aerialdronemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ... in answer to your second question - NO - the collection cup should NOT have water in it.

Whenever your collection cup fills up you should empty it right away ... otherwise you run the risk of it overflowing back into your sump and defeating the whole purpose of having a skimmer!
Thank u

The water added after I opened the valve all they way, the foam wet up in the middle cylinder with a water and then started filling out the cup.
Ok I will drain the water
Thank u

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like someone mentioned, I saw that and thought you might be a good week or two away from even breaking it in (?) And I would personally never skim that wet. Best wishes.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back