FOCGH: fear of CUC going hungy

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put in an order for additional CUC when sand and rocks were beginning to get covered in brown, but they just arrived today from Dr. Reef's, and the sand bed and rock have almost entirely cleared up. I'm worried they are going to go hungry now--anyone have advice on feeding their CUC until next round of algae? How much supplemental food do they need during an algae dry spell?

Current CUC in Fluval Evo 13.5 -- 2 months old -- nitrites always 0 -- nitrates 0-5, 5-10 or even 10-20 depending on test used:
4-5 dwarf ceriths
1 Nassarius vibex
1 fighting conch (currently very small, not much larger than the Nassarius)
8 Trochus (smaller Trochus)
1 dwarf blue leg hermit

(also a very small Randall's pistol shrimp and a fire shrimp, but not really CUC)
(also pods just showed up for the first time on glass and back wall)

I have an algae clip and little nori sheets (not currently placed), plus the sinking algae wafers. And there is always leftover pellets and/or mysis and/or flake from feeding the clowns. Thanks!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I had ordered more, but only 1 arrived alive. The problem (?) right now though is lack of algae for the CUC to eat. Would leaving a piece of Nori once a week cover the rest of their needs? So far they are not attacking the nori, so maybe they are finding enough algae that I can't see. They also tend to leave the green wafers alone (except the hermit who takes a bit).

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I had ordered more, but only 1 arrived alive. The problem (?) right now though is lack of algae for the CUC to eat. Would leaving a piece of Nori once a week cover the rest of their needs? So far they are not attacking the nori, so maybe they are finding enough algae that I can't see. They also tend to leave the green wafers alone (except the hermit who takes a bit).
drop some other sinking pellets and see if they take to them

wvfeefkeeper80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a sea hare that cleared out the tank of algae and I spot fed to keep it alive. While my now removed long spine urchin ate its head off, I noticed my CuC making quick work of the nori I placed in the tank. As long as I keep my nutrients in check, and algae is addressed, I’m feeding once a week. If I see algae, no treats. Tonight I used “Pouch Feeder for Algae and Frozen Foods - Two Little Fishies” from saltwateraquarium for the first time, and they’re all over it. Much cleaner and less waste than a clip. I don’t want CuC to be expendable. I want to care for them as much as any part of this ecosystem.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae wafers keep my CUC happy. Tried Hikari Massivore Delite for the Nassarius and it’s hit or miss. They seem to prefer the wafers. Go figure.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back