"fog" in my tank -

Renshi8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

This hasn't led to a breakout of any kind, but I cannot figure out what this white "fog" like stuff is in my water. It looks like "billows" of white fog in my tank, but I can't determine what it is. I thought it may be because of my water - it's a FOWLR, so I'm not using my osmosis system any longer, but I've never seen "water" cloud like this... and I am using water conditioner additive. Has anyone had this before? Tank has been setup for 6 months, and is 100g and I only have about 30" of fish in the tank. I am also wondering if this is due to a UV sterilizer light I'm using and whether it has a leak of some sort and is making the water cloudy. It does not seem to be impacting my fish at all, they are doing there thing without any issues. I feed flake one day, and mysis the next day, and nothing out of the ordinary. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_8238.MOV
    16 MB
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Check your skimmer. Appears to be getting introduced via return pump through the lines. If not from skimmer, check filters. Some snails will release what looks likes milk when spawning as well as decayed matter

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

This hasn't led to a breakout of any kind, but I cannot figure out what this white "fog" like stuff is in my water. It looks like "billows" of white fog in my tank, but I can't determine what it is. I thought it may be because of my water - it's a FOWLR, so I'm not using my osmosis system any longer, but I've never seen "water" cloud like this... and I am using water conditioner additive. Has anyone had this before? Tank has been setup for 6 months, and is 100g and I only have about 30" of fish in the tank. I am also wondering if this is due to a UV sterilizer light I'm using and whether it has a leak of some sort and is making the water cloudy. It does not seem to be impacting my fish at all, they are doing there thing without any issues. I feed flake one day, and mysis the next day, and nothing out of the ordinary. Any thoughts?

What type of mechanical filter are your running? I can see particulates, as well as general cloudiness. The latter is probably a bacterial bloom, while the former is due to lack of sufficient mechanical filtration.

Jay

OP
OP
R

Renshi8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running an FX6 with a spray bar return, and on the other side I’m running a smaller fluval. A Skimmer and that’s it. Thank you for the help. I’m thinking maybe a drain part of it, drill it for an overflow install, and put a sump below for real filtration.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running an FX6 with a spray bar return, and on the other side I’m running a smaller fluval. A Skimmer and that’s it. Thank you for the help. I’m thinking maybe a drain part of it, drill it for an overflow install, and put a sump below for real filtration.

If you can find finer pore media for your filter, that would help.

Jay

Back