Fold it, Hang It, Rubber Band It, Shred It? Feeding Nori to your fish!

How do you feed your fish Nori or algae sheets?

• Rubberband it to rocks

Votes: 37 6.2%
  • Attach to the glass via a magnet

Votes: 71 11.8%
  • Attach to the glass via an algae clip

Votes: 377 62.7%
  • Shred it and hand feed

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • Let is float in the water column for the fish to fight over

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • Lay it on a power head or pump to disperse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't feed algae strips (nori)

Votes: 46 7.7%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 40 6.7%

• Total voters

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many of the solutions in the poll. Similar to others’ experiences, all of these left algae chunks decaying in places I didn’t want it. Now, I use Julian Sprung’s pouch feeder, found here: Two Little Fishies Pouch Feeder

The pouches hold all the algae firm enough to prevent flow from scattering it, but gently enough for a tiny blue tang to eat from it. And the best part, no more hands in the water, just use the magnet to slide it around from outside the tank.

I get my nori in bulk, like 100 large sheets for $10, at the local H-Mart. I feed whenever I notice that the clips are empty. Typically one sheet a day, or every other day, split between the two feeding spots. Plus a sheet for the dog who has decided that if it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for him.

6EFDA26A-F41A-4F87-8B5D-7ABF2FD63330.jpeg ABD0A517-A670-49E8-9EBD-D4A5CF9F0880.jpeg

Yea I use those too, does a nice job of keeping the mess to a minimum.

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get both the Ocean Nutrition Red and Green, and cut the sheets into quarters, then put it back in the container. I use two suction clips to feed two 1/4 sheet segments of the Red for breakfast, two 1/4 sheet segments of the Green for snacking between their meaty lunch and dinner, then one 1/4 sheet segment for snacking after dinner. Remove and clean both clips before bedtime.

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the two little fishies Sea Veggies bulk packs. I feed 3 large sheets every other day via magnetic clips. Everyone takes part, the wrasses, trigger, all the tangs... well everyone except the anthias, it seems they are too good for nori.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small piece of 3/4" PVC that I have an O ring on. I strap it to the PVC and just through it in. It sinks to the bottom and they feed off of that.

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many of the solutions in the poll. Similar to others’ experiences, all of these left algae chunks decaying in places I didn’t want it. Now, I use Julian Sprung’s pouch feeder, found here: Two Little Fishies Pouch Feeder

The pouches hold all the algae firm enough to prevent flow from scattering it, but gently enough for a tiny blue tang to eat from it. And the best part, no more hands in the water, just use the magnet to slide it around from outside the tank.

I get my nori in bulk, like 100 large sheets for $10, at the local H-Mart. I feed whenever I notice that the clips are empty. Typically one sheet a day, or every other day, split between the two feeding spots. Plus a sheet for the dog who has decided that if it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for him.

6EFDA26A-F41A-4F87-8B5D-7ABF2FD63330.jpeg ABD0A517-A670-49E8-9EBD-D4A5CF9F0880.jpeg

I have those same feeding pouches, they are fantastic and keep the fish busy for a few minutes right after I add nori. My angels both love them, but my purple tang always looks mildly annoyed he can't drag the whole sheet of nori around the tank like he used to lol.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a veggie clip up to present but waiting for delivery of a grazer. My clown tang loves to rip pieces off nibbles it a little and lets it float away. Then they either get stuck in a power head or sucked up by filtration. He ignores any pieces floating around and just goes and rips off another piece. He's kind of a jerk. lol The tomini nibbles on it and actually eats it.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made these after I saw something similar hanging in a bait fish tank in Florida. I bought the small plastic chains off Amazon, fishing weights from Dick's and the clips from wherever. Cut one side of the last link on each end of the chain, snap it over the hole in the clip and the wire loop on the weight. Then CA glue the links at the cut.

It's a bit artsie-craftsie for my typical project, but I really do like how they look and how well it works. Easy to retrieve and reload too.

My Picasso Trigger (Roy) will actually pluck that last strip of leftover Nori from inside the jaws of the clip when I hold it open at the surface. He's so brave, and stupid!

IMG_20201030_180613382.jpg

Last edited:

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I hang it on PVC using fishing line! it floats freely and doesn't scratch the glass/acrylic that way. also no worry about it dropping into the tank. You can see more pics about it here

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made these after I saw something similar hanging in a bait fish tank in Florida. I bought the small plastic chains off Amazon, fishing weights from Dick's and the clips from wherever. Cut one side of the last link on each end of the chain, snap it over the hole in the clip and the wire loop on the weight. Then CA glue the links at the cut.

It's a bit artsie-craftsie for my typical project, but I really do like how they look and how well it works. Easy to retrieve and reload too.

IMG_20201030_180613382.jpg

That looks nicer than my bobber/fishing line idea.Do you think the weights could leach into the tank? @cromag27 Do you think you could incase a weight in acrylic and make something similar?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks nicer than my bobber/fishing line idea.Do you think the weights could leach into the tank? @cromag27 Do you think you could incase a weight in acrylic and make something similar?
I keep the weights out of the tank, but it would be easy to encase it in epoxy.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried all these ways. Mine won’t mess with it...they love live red gracilaria. There are some bits in the LRS I feed and I have tried to crumble some up into that. I have tried the sheets, the freeze dried stem and leaf you name it. I have two tangs (white tail and powder brown) as well as a scribble and flame angel. It generally sits there until it disintegrates

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ABD0A517-A670-49E8-9EBD-D4A5CF9F0880.jpeg

Man, that's just too funny!!! Is the dog growing fins yet??? Is his/her name Sushi??? It just keeps getting better!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried all these ways. Mine won’t mess with it...they love live red gracilaria. There are some bits in the LRS I feed and I have tried to crumble some up into that. I have tried the sheets, the freeze dried stem and leaf you name it. I have two tangs (white tail and powder brown) as well as a scribble and flame angel. It generally sits there until it disintegrates

Does your clean up crew touch it? Maybe I have too little algae in my tank, cause everyone makes their way to it and it is gone in a matter of hours.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a DIY acrylic rod where I have a plastic peg attached to the acrylic rod with cable tie.

I have bent the acrylic rod and cemented it to an acrylic sheet.
I then place it into the tank via the hood which is drilled.
Each time I feed I just lift the acrylic rod, attach the folded nori sheet to the plastic peg.
My hand never goes into the tank.

here it is outside the aquarium just to show you the contraption.
You can also see the PVC strainer I use for feeding frozen food using the same method.

image.jpg

here it is inside the aquarium:
image.jpg

LanaDelNeighh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a two little fishies magnet clip..... Ill feed a strip once a week, the fish that eat it are 2 mollies, a bristletooth tang and an absolute unit of a melanurus wrasse. They suck it down in a day or so then go back to mowing my GHA lawn.

Back